Winnipeg patients die after release

Winnipeg's health authority is investigating after two patients were sent home in taxis and died on their doorsteps in the dead of winter shortly after being discharged from hospital.

Arlene Wilgosh, CEO of the authority, said both patients were discharged from Grace Hospital and sent home in cabs within days of each other around the new year. Both died as temperatures dipped down below -20C before they made it inside their homes.

One man, 78-year-old David Silver, was found frozen on his doorstep about 14 hours after he had been sent home from hospital in the middle of the night. Relatives say an autopsy found his death was due to a heart condition.

The other patient was spotted on a sidewalk by a passing driver who called 911. The patient was dead — apparently from a pre-existing condition — when emergency officials arrived, Wilgosh said. That patient, who won't be named, had been in hospital for more than 24 hours and was discharged at 8:20 a.m., the authority said.

"We are also looking for answers here. We are concerned about what has transpired with these two cases," Wilgosh told a hastily convened news conference Friday. "We are looking to improve our processes so that we can continue to ensure the safety of our patients."

Health Minister Erin Selby immediately instructed all health authorities to ensure that patients sent home in cabs make it into their homes. Clearly there are gaps in hospital procedure that must be addressed, she said.

"I think it's clear that when a patient is discharged from a hospital and returned by taxi, that should include making sure that patient gets through the front door safely," Selby said.

The health authority already has a meeting scheduled with the taxicab board to discuss a change in protocol, Wilgosh said.

Almost a year ago, 68-year-old Heather Brenan was discharged from Seven Oaks Hospital and sent home in a taxi. She collapsed on her doorstep and was rushed back to hospital, where she died from a blood clot that had travelled to her lungs. An inquest has been called into her death.

Silver's nephew, Miles Pollock, said hospital procedure must take into account a patient's age, infirmity, the time of day and the weather. Medical professionals should also use some compassion, he added.

"The hospitals ought to take a little responsibility," said Pollock, who lives in Toronto. "It strikes me as strange that you'd want to rely on a taxi driver to make sure somebody gets into the house when it's not necessarily their responsibility."


Comments are pre-moderated to ensure they meet our guidelines. Approval times will vary. Keep it civil, and stay on topic. If you see an inappropriate comment, please use the ‘flag’ feature. Comments are the opinions of the comment writer, not of Castanet. Comments remain open for one day after a story is published and are closed on weekends. Visit Castanet’s Forums to start or join a discussion about this story.

More Canada News

Parliament Hill
Parliament Hill Webcam
Recent Trending
Okanagan Oldies
Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada