Rob Ford stands firm as mayor
Nov 4, 2013 / 10:06 am
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford says he's determined to finish his term as mayor, without or without the support of city councillors.
Amid calls for his resignation from some members of council and city residents, Ford suggested on Monday that members of his cabinet-like executive committee are welcome to step down if they no longer support him.
"Anyone who wants to go, go," Ford said during an interview on Talk Radio AM640.
"I'll be running this ship, even if it's by myself," he continued. "I'm going to be serving the city and I guarantee I'll be watching every dime."
Meanwhile, councillors are attempting to move forward with city business one day after Ford apologized to Torontonians for past mistakes.
"He's not going to resign and he's not going to take a leave of absence. So with that we just now need to figure out how to move forward," Coun. Karen Stintz told reporters at city hall Monday.
Stintz, who also serves as TTC Chair, has announced she plans to challenge Ford in next year's mayoral race.
Council weighs in on Ford apology
While Stintz didn't comment on calls for the mayor's resignation, some of her council colleagues say constituents deserve more from Ford.
"It didn't go far enough," Coun. Shelley Carroll said of Ford's apology.
"Everyone definitely sees some new sensitivity and they're glad he attempted an apology. It's just not something he's accustomed to," she added.
Coun. Frank Di Giorgio, who is Toronto's budget chief, said he believes the apology was sincere.
"(Ford) believes there's important work that needs to be done in the city and he has a contribution to make," Di Giorgio said from city hall. "In his eyes he wants to be part of the solution."
Toronto deputy mayor Norm Kelly said he was satisfied with Ford's apology, and noted that the mayor made a "personal commitment to behave himself going forward."
However, Kelly warned that the public may not be as forgiving.
“If he falls back to his old ways, there may not be potential for forgiveness that’s out there right now,” he told CP24 on Sunday.
Ford took to the radio airwaves for his weekly radio program Sunday, days after Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said that police had recovered a video which has been described in the media as showing the mayor smoking from what appears to be a crack pipe.
During his two-hour ‘The City’ broadcast on NEWSTALK 1010, Ford, who has previously said he does not use crack cocaine and that the video does not exist, said, “I am not perfect. I have made mistakes and all I can do right now is apologize for the mistakes.”
Ford did not directly address drug allegations, but he did call on Blair to release the video.
"Whatever this video shows, Toronto residents deserve to see it and people need to judge for themselves what they see in this video," he said.
Toronto Police have since reiterated that they will not be releasing any video, as it is up to the courts to decide how evidence is treated.
Ford did admit to being drunk in public during the summertime Taste of the Danforth street festival and addressed city staff reports that he was “intoxicated” after-hours at city hall on St. Patrick’s Day 2012.
“I just got to maybe slow down on my drinking,” Ford said.
Read more Canada News
- Don't compare Marion Barry to Rob Ford
- Suspended senator becomes reporter
- Town mourns 4 teens killed in crash
- Obese yet healthy a myth says study
- Ont. man arrested for murder of BC man
- Canadian man accused of espionage
- Harper sings, but he doesn't dance
- Inmate takes hostage at Edmonton jail
- Cdn torture policy irks security alliance
- Animal abuse law enforcement lacking
- RCMP arrest man on spying charges
- Avoid the legal pitfalls at office parties