Okanagan College Media Release
Internationally acclaimed author, and retired Okanagan College Regional Dean John Lent is a firm believer that education gives people the power to change the world.
“I spent my adult life as a teacher and came from a long line of teachers,” says Lent. “I am lucky to have lived a life in education and have seen first hand how it transforms lives.”
That will be Lent’s message when he addresses graduands at Okanagan College’s Vernon convocation on June 25. During the ceremony, Lent will be receiving the Distinguished Service Award – the highest honour the College bestows on an employee.
For more than 30 years, Lent taught English at Okanagan College in Vernon and was the Regional Dean of the Vernon campus from 2007 to 2011. During this time, he also published 10 books of poetry, fiction and non-fiction.
Through his efforts, Lent significantly contributed to the national reputation that the College has earned for creative writing and publishing and was instrumental in creating a supportive community infrastructure for creative writing throughout the Okanagan Valley.
Okanagan College’s Vernon convocation ceremony starts at 4:30 p.m. and takes place at the Vernon and District Performing Arts Centre.
This is the fifth of six convocation ceremonies the College holds in 2014. The first convocation of the year was held in January and honoured 299 students. On June 6 and 7, the College recognized nearly 1,400 students who earned credentials in academic, vocational and trades programs.
More than 2,100 students will have graduated from Okanagan College in 2014 before the end of the month.
To watch the convocation ceremonies via live streaming, visit www.okanagan.bc.ca/convocationlive.
John Lent to address graduands at Okanagan College’s Vernon convocation
More Campus Life articles
The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet presents its columns "as is" and does not warrant the contents.
- OC Culinary Arts alumnus cooks his way to a spot at Atelier Mar 24
- Anosh Irani reads at Okanagan College Salmon Arm campus Mar 23
- Lumby team crowned 2017 Spaghetti Bridge champions Mar 20
- UBC Okanagan conference draws digital media experts Mar 17
- Children who play outside more likely to protect nature as adults Mar 17
- Business students shine at WCBC Mar 16
- UBC research paves way for improved road construction Mar 16
- OC Campus Relay paves way for alumnus’ running career Mar 14
- Shining stars, bright minds win top accolades at UBC Okanagan Mar 10
- Shorthanded OC team comes out on top at HRC West Mar 9