Okanagan College Media Release
Internationally acclaimed author, and retired Okanagan College Regional Dean John Lent is a firm believer that education gives people the power to change the world.
“I spent my adult life as a teacher and came from a long line of teachers,” says Lent. “I am lucky to have lived a life in education and have seen first hand how it transforms lives.”
That will be Lent’s message when he addresses graduands at Okanagan College’s Vernon convocation on June 25. During the ceremony, Lent will be receiving the Distinguished Service Award – the highest honour the College bestows on an employee.
For more than 30 years, Lent taught English at Okanagan College in Vernon and was the Regional Dean of the Vernon campus from 2007 to 2011. During this time, he also published 10 books of poetry, fiction and non-fiction.
Through his efforts, Lent significantly contributed to the national reputation that the College has earned for creative writing and publishing and was instrumental in creating a supportive community infrastructure for creative writing throughout the Okanagan Valley.
Okanagan College’s Vernon convocation ceremony starts at 4:30 p.m. and takes place at the Vernon and District Performing Arts Centre.
This is the fifth of six convocation ceremonies the College holds in 2014. The first convocation of the year was held in January and honoured 299 students. On June 6 and 7, the College recognized nearly 1,400 students who earned credentials in academic, vocational and trades programs.
More than 2,100 students will have graduated from Okanagan College in 2014 before the end of the month.
To watch the convocation ceremonies via live streaming, visit www.okanagan.bc.ca/convocationlive.
John Lent to address graduands at Okanagan College’s Vernon convocation
More Campus Life articles
The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet presents its columns "as is" and does not warrant the contents.
- College to host panel discussion on Collective Impact movement Jan 23
- UBC Management students honoured in business competition Jan 20
- Lecturer to uncover Mysteries of the Mind Jan 16
- Business grad reaps rewards of well-rounded College experience Jan 13
- Pumping iron is good for the heart, UBC researchers show Jan 11
- New SIDIT-UBC co-op grant available for employers Jan 9
- Alumnus comes home to OC for student-produced concerts Jan 5
- Researchers suggest quality guidelines for using recycled water Jan 5
- Back to school not just for fall, College offers winter intake Jan 3
- Home of Tomorrow demonstrates energy efficiency Jan 3