Okanagan College Media Release
Internationally acclaimed author, and retired Okanagan College Regional Dean John Lent is a firm believer that education gives people the power to change the world.
“I spent my adult life as a teacher and came from a long line of teachers,” says Lent. “I am lucky to have lived a life in education and have seen first hand how it transforms lives.”
That will be Lent’s message when he addresses graduands at Okanagan College’s Vernon convocation on June 25. During the ceremony, Lent will be receiving the Distinguished Service Award – the highest honour the College bestows on an employee.
For more than 30 years, Lent taught English at Okanagan College in Vernon and was the Regional Dean of the Vernon campus from 2007 to 2011. During this time, he also published 10 books of poetry, fiction and non-fiction.
Through his efforts, Lent significantly contributed to the national reputation that the College has earned for creative writing and publishing and was instrumental in creating a supportive community infrastructure for creative writing throughout the Okanagan Valley.
Okanagan College’s Vernon convocation ceremony starts at 4:30 p.m. and takes place at the Vernon and District Performing Arts Centre.
This is the fifth of six convocation ceremonies the College holds in 2014. The first convocation of the year was held in January and honoured 299 students. On June 6 and 7, the College recognized nearly 1,400 students who earned credentials in academic, vocational and trades programs.
More than 2,100 students will have graduated from Okanagan College in 2014 before the end of the month.
To watch the convocation ceremonies via live streaming, visit www.okanagan.bc.ca/convocationlive.
John Lent to address graduands at Okanagan College’s Vernon convocation
More Campus Life articles
The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet presents its columns "as is" and does not warrant the contents.
- UBC works with school district on coding curriculum Jun 27
- Salmon Arm campus and community recognize students Jun 24
- UBC celebrates national research grants Jun 24
- Human brain wired to avoid information overload Jun 23
- Slowing down ships saves whales Jun 16
- Alumnus celebrates College’s history with gift for tradespeople of tomorrow Jun 15
- UBC develops tool to predict how bighorn sheep react to human development Jun 15
- Okanagan College instructor ready to change the way kids think about food Jun 10
- Astronaut and water scientist conferred with honorary degrees at UBC Okanagan Jun 10
- Engineering PhD student wins prestigious Governor General gold medal Jun 10