Okanagan College Half Marathon
In the end just 12 seconds separated the winner and second place finisher in the 12th annual Okanagan College Half Marathon.
Cache Creek’s Ryan Day won the 21.1 km event in a time of 1:11:16 edging out the 2013 winner, Hans Aabye, who finished second. Kelowna’s Jeff Vogt came third in the men’s half marathon division with a finishing time of 1:18:35.
On the women’s side, Salmon Arm’s Sandra Kilmartin came in first with a time of 1:28:56. Michelle Blackburne of West Kelowna came in second at 1:29:45 and Fruitvale’s Heather Johnson placed third at 1:31:26.
In the 10 K race, the top female finishers were: Glynis Sim of Salmon Arm (38:36), Carrie McGillivray of Kelowna (43:50) and Chantal Jeffrey of Blind Bay (43:50.)
The men’s 10 K race was swept by Kelowna runners, they were: Jonathan Menzies in first (37:52, Paul Willinsky (38:18), and Ken Byl (40:18.)
The Half Marathon Relay Race was won by the Results 4 Life 2 team (1:24:07.) In second in the relay was Re-Lazy (1:40:11.) Third place went to UBCO War Child with a time of 1:40:47.
“Today’s race couldn’t have been better,” said Race Director Christine Ulmer. “We had a great mix of elite and amateur runners, each of whom added a huge amount of energy and enthusiasm to the event. I continue to be amazed by the wide range of participants in this event. Some of our most competitive racers are under the age of 15 and then we also have some really great seasoned runners who come out to enjoy the nice course and supportive environment.”
“I can’t thank our volunteers enough – they make this race really special and we couldn’t do it without them.”
Complete race results are available online at: www.okanagan.bc.ca/halfmarathon.
Close race for College’s 12th annual Half Marathon
More Campus Life articles
The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet presents its columns "as is" and does not warrant the contents.
- Lecturer to uncover Mysteries of the Mind Jan 16
- Business grad reaps rewards of well-rounded College experience Jan 13
- Pumping iron is good for the heart, UBC researchers show Jan 11
- New SIDIT-UBC co-op grant available for employers Jan 9
- Alumnus comes home to OC for student-produced concerts Jan 5
- Researchers suggest quality guidelines for using recycled water Jan 5
- Back to school not just for fall, College offers winter intake Jan 3
- Home of Tomorrow demonstrates energy efficiency Jan 3
- UBC hosts animal science expert and author Temple Grandin Jan 3
- OC Campus Run 2017 Dec 30