Okanagan College Half Marathon
In the end just 12 seconds separated the winner and second place finisher in the 12th annual Okanagan College Half Marathon.
Cache Creek’s Ryan Day won the 21.1 km event in a time of 1:11:16 edging out the 2013 winner, Hans Aabye, who finished second. Kelowna’s Jeff Vogt came third in the men’s half marathon division with a finishing time of 1:18:35.
On the women’s side, Salmon Arm’s Sandra Kilmartin came in first with a time of 1:28:56. Michelle Blackburne of West Kelowna came in second at 1:29:45 and Fruitvale’s Heather Johnson placed third at 1:31:26.
In the 10 K race, the top female finishers were: Glynis Sim of Salmon Arm (38:36), Carrie McGillivray of Kelowna (43:50) and Chantal Jeffrey of Blind Bay (43:50.)
The men’s 10 K race was swept by Kelowna runners, they were: Jonathan Menzies in first (37:52, Paul Willinsky (38:18), and Ken Byl (40:18.)
The Half Marathon Relay Race was won by the Results 4 Life 2 team (1:24:07.) In second in the relay was Re-Lazy (1:40:11.) Third place went to UBCO War Child with a time of 1:40:47.
“Today’s race couldn’t have been better,” said Race Director Christine Ulmer. “We had a great mix of elite and amateur runners, each of whom added a huge amount of energy and enthusiasm to the event. I continue to be amazed by the wide range of participants in this event. Some of our most competitive racers are under the age of 15 and then we also have some really great seasoned runners who come out to enjoy the nice course and supportive environment.”
“I can’t thank our volunteers enough – they make this race really special and we couldn’t do it without them.”
Complete race results are available online at: www.okanagan.bc.ca/halfmarathon.
Close race for College’s 12th annual Half Marathon
More Campus Life articles
The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet presents its columns "as is" and does not warrant the contents.
- COF funds financial literacy program for elementary Jul 28
- UBC anthropologist helps create documentary on the art of language construction Jul 28
- Faces aren’t always to be believed when it comes to honesty Jul 27
- Local student athlete gives back Jul 26
- Children’s success in schools tied to teachers’ wellbeing Jul 26
- Do think-tanks matter? A UBC professor says 'think again' Jul 22
- Medical Office Assistant training helps launch graduate into a career she never planned for Jul 21
- Researcher looking for answers when a child abandons the family religion Jul 21
- UBC Okanagan reduced carbon footprint in 2015 Jul 20
- Camp OC keeps kids learning all summer long at Okanagan College Jul 19