Okanagan College Half Marathon
In the end just 12 seconds separated the winner and second place finisher in the 12th annual Okanagan College Half Marathon.
Cache Creek’s Ryan Day won the 21.1 km event in a time of 1:11:16 edging out the 2013 winner, Hans Aabye, who finished second. Kelowna’s Jeff Vogt came third in the men’s half marathon division with a finishing time of 1:18:35.
On the women’s side, Salmon Arm’s Sandra Kilmartin came in first with a time of 1:28:56. Michelle Blackburne of West Kelowna came in second at 1:29:45 and Fruitvale’s Heather Johnson placed third at 1:31:26.
In the 10 K race, the top female finishers were: Glynis Sim of Salmon Arm (38:36), Carrie McGillivray of Kelowna (43:50) and Chantal Jeffrey of Blind Bay (43:50.)
The men’s 10 K race was swept by Kelowna runners, they were: Jonathan Menzies in first (37:52, Paul Willinsky (38:18), and Ken Byl (40:18.)
The Half Marathon Relay Race was won by the Results 4 Life 2 team (1:24:07.) In second in the relay was Re-Lazy (1:40:11.) Third place went to UBCO War Child with a time of 1:40:47.
“Today’s race couldn’t have been better,” said Race Director Christine Ulmer. “We had a great mix of elite and amateur runners, each of whom added a huge amount of energy and enthusiasm to the event. I continue to be amazed by the wide range of participants in this event. Some of our most competitive racers are under the age of 15 and then we also have some really great seasoned runners who come out to enjoy the nice course and supportive environment.”
“I can’t thank our volunteers enough – they make this race really special and we couldn’t do it without them.”
Complete race results are available online at: www.okanagan.bc.ca/halfmarathon.
Close race for College’s 12th annual Half Marathon
More Campus Life articles
The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet presents its columns "as is" and does not warrant the contents.
- Comba and Stewart receive OC Alumni Association’s highest honours Aug 23
- New UBC program feeds demand for creative tech-savvy workers Aug 22
- OC and Toyota Technical College celebrate 25 years of cultural and educational exchange Aug 19
- Aboriginal students can gain jobsite skills through CCWAB program Aug 18
- Two new board members for Okanagan College Aug 16
- Education uncorks wine industry opportunities Aug 12
- UBC researchers develop drinking water quality index tool for municipalities Aug 11
- 10 years of opening eyes and shutters to digital camera capabilities Aug 10
- UBC research aims to help Canadian flax farmers Aug 10
- Okanagan College student passionate about building a lasting health and safety culture Aug 9