Okanagan College Half Marathon
In the end just 12 seconds separated the winner and second place finisher in the 12th annual Okanagan College Half Marathon.
Cache Creek’s Ryan Day won the 21.1 km event in a time of 1:11:16 edging out the 2013 winner, Hans Aabye, who finished second. Kelowna’s Jeff Vogt came third in the men’s half marathon division with a finishing time of 1:18:35.
On the women’s side, Salmon Arm’s Sandra Kilmartin came in first with a time of 1:28:56. Michelle Blackburne of West Kelowna came in second at 1:29:45 and Fruitvale’s Heather Johnson placed third at 1:31:26.
In the 10 K race, the top female finishers were: Glynis Sim of Salmon Arm (38:36), Carrie McGillivray of Kelowna (43:50) and Chantal Jeffrey of Blind Bay (43:50.)
The men’s 10 K race was swept by Kelowna runners, they were: Jonathan Menzies in first (37:52, Paul Willinsky (38:18), and Ken Byl (40:18.)
The Half Marathon Relay Race was won by the Results 4 Life 2 team (1:24:07.) In second in the relay was Re-Lazy (1:40:11.) Third place went to UBCO War Child with a time of 1:40:47.
“Today’s race couldn’t have been better,” said Race Director Christine Ulmer. “We had a great mix of elite and amateur runners, each of whom added a huge amount of energy and enthusiasm to the event. I continue to be amazed by the wide range of participants in this event. Some of our most competitive racers are under the age of 15 and then we also have some really great seasoned runners who come out to enjoy the nice course and supportive environment.”
“I can’t thank our volunteers enough – they make this race really special and we couldn’t do it without them.”
Complete race results are available online at: www.okanagan.bc.ca/halfmarathon.
Close race for College’s 12th annual Half Marathon
More Campus Life articles
The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet presents its columns "as is" and does not warrant the contents.
- New book explores motivating a diverse workforce Feb 22
- An evening with three Canadian authors Feb 21
- UBC professor advocates the benefit of exercise for healthy aging Feb 21
- Supporter of amateur and professional sports speaks at UBC breakfast event Feb 21
- OC students get hands-on experience in community for in-demand trades Feb 17
- College marketing team earns silver in Montreal case competition Feb 16
- Okanagan College students tackle food security with Refreshing idea Feb 16
- Time running out for living languages in BC Feb 15
- Nominations open for 2017 OCAA Alumni Awards Feb 10
- OC’s Abbey Jones wins BC Social Innovation Youth Award Feb 9