Okanagan College Media Release
Students move on to busy lives and careers after College graduation but the memories of the friendships they formed and the experiences they shared during their school years never leave them. At Okanagan College, the newly-launched alumni netCommunity offers graduates a way to stay in touch, rekindle connections, and support the College no matter how far away their lives and careers have taken them.
“People love the College experience and want to keep that connection,” said Okanagan College Alumni Relations Coordinator Katerina Hay. “It’s a big change to go from being immersed in college life every day for a few years and then transition to the workplace. We wanted to gift our alumni with a way to maintain those old friendships and link with like-minded people who have a shared experience.
“netCommunity is an online platform that lets alumni customize how they want to stay involved with the College, including keeping up with news and events of their choice, taking advantage of networking and mentoring opportunities, and engaging with the alumni directory and discussion boards.”
Since the first graduation ceremony 50 years ago, 53,477 individuals have received a certificate, diploma or degree from Okanagan College or one of its predecessor institutions. All alumni can enrol in netCommunity and are eligible for a variety of discounts and benefits, including ongoing and limited time discounts on insurance, movie tickets, concerts, sporting events and travel. They can also access free library cards and employment services to support job searches and career changes.
“Personalizing the connection with the College is a key element,” said Jill Buehler, an alumna of the College who helped install netCommunity. “I especially like the networking feature and opportunities for mentorship that will help with career growth. For people who move out of the Okanagan, it’s a way to keep in touch and hear about new developments.”
Alumni can sign up for netCommunity at http://alumni.okanagan.bc.ca. For more information, contact Katerina Hay at [email protected].
Online netCommunity to connect over 50,000 Okanagan College alumni
More Campus Life articles
The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet presents its columns "as is" and does not warrant the contents.
- College and Westbank First Nation sign MOU, commit to deeper partnership Feb 12
- Partnership makes it possible to pursue degree in Law Enforcement Studies Feb 11
- Builder of the year helping College build for the future Feb 11
- UBC researchers discover new glass technology Feb 11
- Patchwork Farms harvests a successful year Feb 10
- UBC prof. looking for seniors with hearing loss for new study Feb 9
- Back to school for RV pros at Okanagan College Feb 5
- Acclaimed author Madeleine Thien to speak at the College Feb 5
- A recipe for success: Canada’s best chefs pair up with Okanagan College students at Gold Medal Plates Feb 3
- UBC Management students honoured in business competition Feb 2