Okanagan College Media Release
Okanagan College is inviting community organizations and not-for-profits in the region to partner in a Golden Day of Service on Friday, Feb. 14.
The College is holding the Day of Service in recognition of its 50th anniversary and as a tribute to the tremendous support it has received over the past five decades.
From humble beginnings in 1963 in Kelowna as the B.C. Vocational School, the College grew and expanded to operate out of the draughty army barracks in Vernon, a Catholic church in Penticton and portables in Salmon Arm, all the while integrating itself with the people and the communities it serves.
“The College is rooted in a tradition of service and on Valentine’s Day, employees, students and alumni will give their time to recognize the value of the partnerships that have shaped the College’s development over fifty years,” said President Jim Hamilton. “It’s our way of saying thank you as we write the next chapter in our College’s story and we want to write that chapter with the people who have done so much to support our students, our employees and our College.”
The College has created an online volunteer project registry and is inviting community organizations to alert the College community to opportunities for volunteer service.
Hosted at www.okanagan.bc.ca/goldenday, projects can be submitted online and will be made available for employees, students and alumni for registration.
Volunteers will be available to support initiatives during working hours on Feb. 14 and every hour counts. Projects can range from cleaning up our parks to supporting literacy to coaching a team. If it benefits the community, it counts.
“The Golden Day of Service has the potential to have a profound impact in our communities on just one day,” explained Hamilton. “It will serve as a reminder of the contributions of our College community and will mark yet another way in which we transform lives and communities.”
For more information about the Golden Day of Service or to register a project, visit:www.okanagan.bc.ca/goldenday.
College seeks opportunities to help community on Golden Day of Service
More Campus Life articles
The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet presents its columns "as is" and does not warrant the contents.
- OC Culinary Arts alumnus cooks his way to a spot at Atelier Mar 24
- Anosh Irani reads at Okanagan College Salmon Arm campus Mar 23
- Lumby team crowned 2017 Spaghetti Bridge champions Mar 20
- UBC Okanagan conference draws digital media experts Mar 17
- Children who play outside more likely to protect nature as adults Mar 17
- Business students shine at WCBC Mar 16
- UBC research paves way for improved road construction Mar 16
- OC Campus Relay paves way for alumnus’ running career Mar 14
- Shining stars, bright minds win top accolades at UBC Okanagan Mar 10
- Shorthanded OC team comes out on top at HRC West Mar 9