Okanagan College Media Release
Okanagan College is inviting community organizations and not-for-profits in the region to partner in a Golden Day of Service on Friday, Feb. 14.
The College is holding the Day of Service in recognition of its 50th anniversary and as a tribute to the tremendous support it has received over the past five decades.
From humble beginnings in 1963 in Kelowna as the B.C. Vocational School, the College grew and expanded to operate out of the draughty army barracks in Vernon, a Catholic church in Penticton and portables in Salmon Arm, all the while integrating itself with the people and the communities it serves.
“The College is rooted in a tradition of service and on Valentine’s Day, employees, students and alumni will give their time to recognize the value of the partnerships that have shaped the College’s development over fifty years,” said President Jim Hamilton. “It’s our way of saying thank you as we write the next chapter in our College’s story and we want to write that chapter with the people who have done so much to support our students, our employees and our College.”
The College has created an online volunteer project registry and is inviting community organizations to alert the College community to opportunities for volunteer service.
Hosted at www.okanagan.bc.ca/goldenday, projects can be submitted online and will be made available for employees, students and alumni for registration.
Volunteers will be available to support initiatives during working hours on Feb. 14 and every hour counts. Projects can range from cleaning up our parks to supporting literacy to coaching a team. If it benefits the community, it counts.
“The Golden Day of Service has the potential to have a profound impact in our communities on just one day,” explained Hamilton. “It will serve as a reminder of the contributions of our College community and will mark yet another way in which we transform lives and communities.”
For more information about the Golden Day of Service or to register a project, visit:www.okanagan.bc.ca/goldenday.
College seeks opportunities to help community on Golden Day of Service
More Campus Life articles
The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet presents its columns "as is" and does not warrant the contents.
- Foundation charity golf tournament celebrates twenty-five years, milestone in funds raised for students May 31
- Outland Design gift grows trades campaign total, nurtures early childhood educators May 30
- Student wins international award at major conference May 27
- Hamilton to stay as OC President until 2019 May 26
- UBC researchers discover cure for ‘concrete cancer’ May 25
- Good vibrations: College students launch new venture to change the way we think about sound May 24
- Okanagan College business student off to Tanzania on prestigious international fellowship May 20
- UBC works with small schools to tackle big problems May 20
- UBC research targets oil and gas pipeline safety May 20
- Ford dealer drives up support for new trades complex, celebrates father’s legacy May 16