Okanagan College Media Release
Okanagan College is inviting community organizations and not-for-profits in the region to partner in a Golden Day of Service on Friday, Feb. 14.
The College is holding the Day of Service in recognition of its 50th anniversary and as a tribute to the tremendous support it has received over the past five decades.
From humble beginnings in 1963 in Kelowna as the B.C. Vocational School, the College grew and expanded to operate out of the draughty army barracks in Vernon, a Catholic church in Penticton and portables in Salmon Arm, all the while integrating itself with the people and the communities it serves.
“The College is rooted in a tradition of service and on Valentine’s Day, employees, students and alumni will give their time to recognize the value of the partnerships that have shaped the College’s development over fifty years,” said President Jim Hamilton. “It’s our way of saying thank you as we write the next chapter in our College’s story and we want to write that chapter with the people who have done so much to support our students, our employees and our College.”
The College has created an online volunteer project registry and is inviting community organizations to alert the College community to opportunities for volunteer service.
Hosted at www.okanagan.bc.ca/goldenday, projects can be submitted online and will be made available for employees, students and alumni for registration.
Volunteers will be available to support initiatives during working hours on Feb. 14 and every hour counts. Projects can range from cleaning up our parks to supporting literacy to coaching a team. If it benefits the community, it counts.
“The Golden Day of Service has the potential to have a profound impact in our communities on just one day,” explained Hamilton. “It will serve as a reminder of the contributions of our College community and will mark yet another way in which we transform lives and communities.”
For more information about the Golden Day of Service or to register a project, visit:www.okanagan.bc.ca/goldenday.
College seeks opportunities to help community on Golden Day of Service
More Campus Life articles
The views expressed are strictly those of the author and not necessarily those of Castanet. Castanet presents its columns "as is" and does not warrant the contents.
- UBC Management students honoured in business competition Jan 20
- Lecturer to uncover Mysteries of the Mind Jan 16
- Business grad reaps rewards of well-rounded College experience Jan 13
- Pumping iron is good for the heart, UBC researchers show Jan 11
- New SIDIT-UBC co-op grant available for employers Jan 9
- Alumnus comes home to OC for student-produced concerts Jan 5
- Researchers suggest quality guidelines for using recycled water Jan 5
- Back to school not just for fall, College offers winter intake Jan 3
- Home of Tomorrow demonstrates energy efficiency Jan 3
- UBC hosts animal science expert and author Temple Grandin Jan 3