Enterprise rental car to hire 11,000
Oct 2, 2013 / 4:06 pm
Enterprise Holdings, the largest U.S. rental car company, plans to hire 11,000 new full-time workers by the middle of next year, the company told The Associated Press on Wednesday.
The hiring is expected to be complete by July 31, and could boost the company's workforce to more than 80,000, depending on attrition, company executive Marie Artim said. The suburban St. Louis-based company's revenues have more than doubled over the past 10 years, from $6.9 billion in 2003 to $16 billion.
The company plans to hire nearly 8,500 for management trainee positions, including many recent college graduates. Others will be hired for positions in information technology, administration and support roles at the company headquarters in suburban St. Louis, and in branch stores.
In addition to the full-time jobs, Enterprise plans to hire 1,500 interns. Typically, about half of its interns eventually become full-time employees, company officials said.
Enterprise Holdings operates Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Alamo Rent A Car and National Car Rental. It is one of the nation's largest private companies. Its overall fleet includes 1.3 million vehicles at 8,200 rental stores.
Artim, vice-president of talent acquisition for Enterprise, said the new hires are needed because nearly 11,000 people were promoted or changed positions within the company over the past year. She said the company typically promotes almost strictly from within its own ranks, noting that CEO Pamela M. Nicholson began in an entry level position at Enterprise more than three decades ago.
"It's just an exciting time," Artim said. "Being a family-owned, privately-held company has allowed us to think long-term and strategic."
Enterprise was founded in 1957 by Jack Taylor as Executive Leasing with a fleet of seven cars. He changed the name to Enterprise in 1969 to honour the World War II aircraft carrier he served on, the USS Enterprise.
The company grew quickly by developing a niche for neighbourhood locations rather than airports, making it popular among those whose cars or trucks were in the shop for repair. Enterprise acquired Alamo and National in 2007.
Nicholson became the first person outside the Taylor family to lead the company in June. Jack Taylor and his son, Andrew, were the only previous CEOs before Nicholson was promoted from president and chief operating officer. Andrew Taylor remains as executive chairman.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.19||+0.08|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||+0.04|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.55||0.00|
I saw your comment while reading your business article on Castanet regarding Harvey’s Hamburgers being the “Best Tasting Hamburgers". It is true, Harvey’s usually wins that awa...
Opportunities to Be Aware of This Year As the 2013 year is coming to an end, individuals should be mindful of year-end tax planning opportunities that will need to be implemented prior to December 31s...
When was the last time you thought about your mortgage? Most people take out a mortgage with their bank for five years and then forget about it. When you took out that mortgage did anyone discuss ot...
- Canada's exporting sector expects to improve sales over next six months
- Sun Media sells 74 community papers
- Capital Power, Enmax to jointly develop new gas-fired plant near Edmonton
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Tiff Macklem to step down from Bank of Canada
- US economy expands at 3.6 per cent rate in Q3 but business stockpiles drive half of the growth
- US jobless claims tumble 23,000 to 298,000, sign that companies are laying off fewer workers
- CIBC plans to open a branch at Pearson airport to draw in travellers, newcomers
- Transcontinental buying 74 Sun Media community papers in Quebec for $75 million
- RBC president and CEO Gordon Nixon to retire in Aug. 2014
- 'SpongeBob SquarePants,' other Nickelodeon programs come to China online viewers in Sohu deal
- Cost rises to $8.5B for North West refinery project northeast of Edmonton
- PBO even more optimistic than Flaherty of balanced budget in election year 2015