Senate rejects latest House GOP attempt to negotiate on budget, health care law
Oct 1, 2013 / 12:04 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate has voted to reject the latest House Republican effort to negotiate on the budget amid the government shutdown.
The party-line vote was 54-46 on Tuesday. The Senate turned aside a House request to name negotiators to a conference to resolve differences.
Majority Leader Harry Reid said he wouldn't negotiate as long as Republicans were holding up a straightforward spending bill to keep the government operating.
The vote marked the fourth time during this fight that the Democratic-controlled Senate has rejected House Republican efforts. The political stalemate that has triggered the first government shutdown in 17 years.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.28||+0.09|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||0.00|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.54||-0.01|
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
- Healthy hiring in November would mark fourth straight month of solid job growth
- Bruce Lee's iconic yellow jumpsuit fetches $100,000 at Hong Kong auction
- Spotify to allow users to create playlists on phones and tablets and listen to them for free
- US lurching from 'crisis to crisis,' politics influenced by money: Gary Doer
- Governments offers help to develop seal products in backing Atlantic industry
- Precision Drilling shares plummet as Alberta fund manager sells stake
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- CIBC logs $836M profit in Q4, cautiously optimistic about next year
- Auto insurers urge holiday season refresher as young drivers return home
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Canada creates 21,600 jobs, Nov. jobless rate 6.9%
- New CEO will help prepare Royal Bank for future, as divisions feel the pressure
- TD Bank Q4 profit rises to $1.62 billion, adjusted earnings up but miss estimate