Former music exec cut by machete after being held hostage by girlfriend's ex-husband in LA
Sep 17, 2013 / 5:04 am
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - A former music industry executive is in critical condition in Los Angeles after authorities say his girlfriend's suicidal ex-husband held him and the woman hostage for more than five hours and cut him with a machete.
The couple was held hostage early Sunday at the woman's Woodland Hills home, police Sgt. Alex Kim told City News Service.
The victim, Jerry Sharell, was cut several times on the neck, Kim said. Sharell worked with the Eagles, Linda Ronstadt and Motley Crue during a career as music executive dating back to the 1970s.
The woman eventually was able to get away and call police.
Arriving officers ordered the suspect to drop the machete. By the time he did, he had slit his own wrists.
A neighbour told KCBS-TV the suspect arrived on a motorcycle and pulled out a machete and a bouquet of flowers before entering the house.
Sharell and the suspect remained hospitalized Monday in critical but stable condition, officials said.
The woman also was injured during the struggle to get away. She was not hospitalized.
The names of the woman and the suspect were not released.
She had a restraining order against her former husband, police said.
Sharell hosts the "Sundays With Sinatra" program on Los Angeles radio station KJazz. He previously managed Asylum Records, worked in talent marketing at the radio network Westwood One, and headed video distribution at MCA, according to his bio on the KJazz website.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.28||+0.09|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||0.00|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.54||-0.01|
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
- Precision Drilling shares plummet as Alberta fund manager sells stake
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- CIBC logs $836M profit in Q4, cautiously optimistic about next year
- Auto insurers urge holiday season refresher as young drivers return home
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Canada creates 21,600 jobs, Nov. jobless rate 6.9%
- New CEO will help prepare Royal Bank for future, as divisions feel the pressure
- TD Bank Q4 profit rises to $1.62 billion, adjusted earnings up but miss estimate
- TSX drops 105 points amid mixed earnings from RBC, TD and CIBC, Fed concerns
- Loonie advances, traders look to Canadian, U.S. jobs data being released Friday
- Detroit bankruptcy judge follows up major bench ruling with written opinion, urges compromise
- Barrick Gold critic says Munk's departure will be a positive but concerns remain
- Canada's agriculture minister says time running short on reaching new WTO deal