Stock market rises, led by automakers and technology companies; Ford, GM rise on strong sales
Sep 4, 2013 / 12:08 pm
NEW YORK, N.Y. - Stocks are rising after automakers reported sharply higher sales for August, putting the industry on track for its best month in six years.
Investors were keeping careful watch on President Barack Obama's drive to win support in Congress for a military strike on Syria.
The Dow Jones industrial average rose 108 points, or 0.7 per cent, to 14,942 in shortly before noon Wednesday.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index rose 14 points, or 0.9 per cent, to 1,654 and the Nasdaq composite was up 36 points, or 1 per cent, to 3,648.
U.S. automakers rose sharply. General Motors gained $1.05, or 3.1 per cent, to $35.20 and Ford rose 52 cents to $16.87.
GM's sales rose 15 per cent last month, while Ford's rose 12 per cent.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.18||-0.02|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.37||0.00|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.58||+0.02|
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
- AP source: General Motors names product chief Mary Barra as new CEO
- US Rep. Alan Grayson of Florida loses $18M in fraud scheme
- Oil falls slightly; natural gas gains on stormy weather, forecast for cold
- European air and defence company EADS to cut 5,800 jobs as part of major overhaul
- Lululemon Athletica names Laurent Potdevin as CEO, replacing Christine Day
- Your guide to the 2013 Nobels in literature, chemistry, physics, medicine, peace and economics
- Calgary's Equal Energy to be acquired by Petroflow in US$230M deal
- Canadian TV rights deal approval, salary cap on tap for NHL board of governors
- Quebec revenue agency wants $750 million in fines for alleged gold fraud
- Markets set to rise on string of economic data amid concerns over Fed stimulus
- Greek lawmakers pass 2014 budget that forecasts return to growth
- Senate proposal: open Mexico's state-run oil sector to private companies