'The Butler' tops 'One Direction' at box office over Labor Day weekend with $20.2 million
Sep 3, 2013 / 7:00 pm
"Lee Daniels' The Butler" was served another first-place finish over the Labor Day weekend.
The film starring Forest Whitaker as a veteran White House butler earned $20.2 million in the top spot at the box office for the third weekend in a row, bringing the Weinstein Co. historical drama's domestic haul to $79.5 million.
Sony's boy-band music documentary "One Direction: This Is Us" opened in second place with $18.5 million.
The top 20 movies at U.S. and Canadian theatres Friday through Monday, followed by distribution studio, gross, number of theatre locations, average receipts per location, total gross and number of weeks in release, as compiled Monday by Hollywood.com, are:
1. "Lee Daniels' The Butler," Weinstein Co., $20,201,272, 3,330 locations, $6,066 average, $79,466,378, three weeks.
2. "One Direction: This Is Us," Sony, $18,472,875, 2,735 locations, $6,754 average, $18,472,875, one week.
3. "We're the Millers," Warner Bros., $16,288,094, 3,445 locations, $4,728 average, $113,240,012, four weeks.
4. "Planes," Disney, $10,882,322, 3,259 locations, $3,339 average, $73,969,992, four weeks.
5. "Instructions Not Included," Lionsgate, $10,378,558, 348 locations, $29,823 average, $10,378,558, one week.
6. "Elysium," Sony, $8,420,783, 2,539 locations, $3,317 average, $80,524,512, four weeks.
7. "Mortal Instruments: City of Bones," Sony, $7,069,709, 3,118 locations, $2,267 average, $24,523,893, two weeks.
8. "The World's End," Focus, $6,511,335, 1,553 locations, $4,193 average, $18,320,569, two weeks.
9. "Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters," Fox, $6,189,447, 2,393 locations, $2,586 average, $56,729,466, four weeks.
10. "Getaway," Warner Bros., $5,606,142, 2,130 locations, $2,632 average, $5,606,142, one week.
11. "Blue Jasmine," Sony, $5,306,163, 1,179 locations, $4,501 average, $21,772,631, six weeks.
12. "You're Next," Lionsgate, $5,069,361, 2,437 locations, $2,080 average, $14,409,069, two weeks.
13. "Despicable Me 2," Universal, $3,800,500, 1,284 locations, $2,960 average, $355,739,290, nine weeks.
14. "2 Guns," Universal, $3,386,425, 1,411 locations, $2,400 average, $70,096,330, five weeks.
15. "The Grandmaster," Weinstein Co., $3,181,334, 749 locations, $4,247 average, $3,377,378, two weeks.
16. "Closed Circuit," Focus, $3,116,885, 870 locations, $3,583 average, $3,628,731, one week.
17. "The Smurfs 2," Sony, $2,831,627, 1,366 locations, $2,073 average, $66,985,863, five weeks.
18. "Kick-Ass 2," Universal, $2,469,015, 1,646 locations, $1,500 average, $26,998,060, three weeks.
19. "Monsters University," Disney, $2,284,055, 1,889 locations, $1,209 average, $264,286,369, 11 weeks.
20. "The Wolverine," Fox, $2,213,405, 988 locations, $2,240 average, $128,322,287, six weeks.
Universal and Focus are owned by NBC Universal, a unit of Comcast Corp.; Sony, Columbia, Sony Screen Gems and Sony Pictures Classics are units of Sony Corp.; Paramount is owned by Viacom Inc.; Disney, Pixar and Marvel are owned by The Walt Disney Co.; Miramax is owned by Filmyard Holdings LLC; 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight are owned by News Corp.; Warner Bros. and New Line are units of Time Warner Inc.; MGM is owned by a group of former creditors including Highland Capital, Anchorage Advisors and Carl Icahn; Lionsgate is owned by Lions Gate Entertainment Corp.; IFC is owned by AMC Networks Inc.; Rogue is owned by Relativity Media LLC.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.28||+0.09|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||0.00|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.54||-0.01|
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
- US consumer spending up 0.3 per cent in October but wages and salaries post weak gain
- Healthy hiring in November would mark fourth straight month of solid job growth
- Bruce Lee's iconic yellow jumpsuit fetches $100,000 at Hong Kong auction
- Spotify to allow users to create playlists on phones and tablets and listen to them for free
- US lurching from 'crisis to crisis,' politics influenced by money: Gary Doer
- Governments offers help to develop seal products in backing Atlantic industry
- Precision Drilling shares plummet as Alberta fund manager sells stake
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- CIBC logs $836M profit in Q4, cautiously optimistic about next year
- Auto insurers urge holiday season refresher as young drivers return home
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Canada creates 21,600 jobs, Nov. jobless rate 6.9%
- New CEO will help prepare Royal Bank for future, as divisions feel the pressure