Via Rail reports lower second-quarter net income, revenue from a year ago
Aug 30, 2013 / 6:12 pm
MONTREAL - Via Rail saw its second-quarter net income slip as revenue declined and operating expenses rose.
The arms-length Crown corporation reported a profit of $9.6 million, down from $11.9 million a year ago.
Revenue for the quarter was $66.2 million, compared to $68.1 million during the same period last year. Total passenger revenues were $61.1 million, down from $63.5 million a year ago.
Meanwhile, operating expenses grew to $154 million from $141.8 million previously, primarily due to higher depreciation costs related to its capital investment program.
The number of miles travelled by all passengers grew by four per cent to 208 million from 200 million. But that was offset by higher operations funding, which went up to 38.4 cents per passenger mile, compared to 36 cents during the same quarter last year.
Via operates intercity, regional and transcontinental trains over a 12,500-kilometre route network across Canada.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.28||+0.09|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||0.00|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.54||-0.01|
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
- Spotify to allow users to create playlists on phones and tablets and listen to them for free
- US lurching from 'crisis to crisis,' politics influenced by money: Gary Doer
- Governments offers help to develop seal products in backing Atlantic industry
- Precision Drilling shares plummet as Alberta fund manager sells stake
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- CIBC logs $836M profit in Q4, cautiously optimistic about next year
- Auto insurers urge holiday season refresher as young drivers return home
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Canada creates 21,600 jobs, Nov. jobless rate 6.9%
- New CEO will help prepare Royal Bank for future, as divisions feel the pressure
- TD Bank Q4 profit rises to $1.62 billion, adjusted earnings up but miss estimate
- TSX drops 105 points amid mixed earnings from RBC, TD and CIBC, Fed concerns
- Loonie advances, traders look to Canadian, U.S. jobs data being released Friday