Okanagan wine served in the sky
Jul 16, 2013 / 5:00 am
It's a first for the Canadian wine industry, and great news for frequent Westjet flyers.
BC wines will now be served on new WestJet Encore routes in Western Canada servicing: Vancouver, Victoria, Nanaimo, Edmonton,Calgary, Fort St. John, Grand Prairie, Saskatoon, Regina and Brandon.
The concept to serve BC wines from the Okanagan Valley stems from a partnership between WestJet and the Okanagan Wine Festivals Society.
Marshall Wilmot, WestJet Vice President, Product and Distribution says the company was looking for a special way to promote new destinations and routes with the launch of WestJet Encore.
"Having worked with the wineries of British Columbia through the Okanagan Wine Festivals Society for more than 10 years, we know that the wines of British Columbia are extremely well respected and the region is recognized as one of the premium wine regions in the world. Never before on a scheduled airline in Canada have the wines of British Columbia been featured in this manner, and we are proud to do so."
Modelled after a Horizon Air program in the US using Oregon and California wines, this will be a first for a major Canadian air carrier.
"We are sponsoring a promotional bottle pour on board the new WestJet Encore Bombardier Q400 NextGen aircraft whereby every guest will have a choice of two wines to sample for the summer months," explained Eric von Krosigk, Chair of the Okanagan Wine Festivals Society and winemaker at Summerhill Pyramid Winery in Kelowna.
"This pouring allows thousands of customers to be introduced to our wines, our wine region and our Okanagan Wine Festivals which draw tens of thousands of wine tourists to our region annually."
In the month of July they are: Gray Monk Estate Winery, Lang Vineyards, Oliver Twist, Perseus Winery, Blasted Church Vineyards, SunnyBrae Vineyards in Tappen, The View Winery, Therapy Vineyards, St, Hubertus Winery, and Wayne Gretzky Okanagan.
Next month the participating wineries include: Road 13 Vineyards, the Vibrant Vine, Ganton & Larsen Prospect Winery, Sumac Ridge Estate Winery, See Ya Later Ranch, Inniskillin Okanagan Estate Winery, and Jackson Triggs Okanagan Estate.
The promotion applies only to WestJet flights operated by WestJet Encore during the months of July, August and September.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.28||+0.09|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||0.00|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.54||-0.01|
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
- NBC's 'Sound of Music' live telecast was Thursday's favourite thing with 18.5 million viewers
- E-commerce growth slowing in Canada as shoppers look to overseas e-stores
- US consumer spending up 0.3 per cent in October but wages and salaries post weak gain
- Healthy hiring in November would mark fourth straight month of solid job growth
- Bruce Lee's iconic yellow jumpsuit fetches $100,000 at Hong Kong auction
- Spotify to allow users to create playlists on phones and tablets and listen to them for free
- US lurching from 'crisis to crisis,' politics influenced by money: Gary Doer
- Governments offers help to develop seal products in backing Atlantic industry
- Precision Drilling shares plummet as Alberta fund manager sells stake
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- CIBC logs $836M profit in Q4, cautiously optimistic about next year
- Auto insurers urge holiday season refresher as young drivers return home