LG to release full HD smartphone
Feb 17, 2013 / 9:01 pm
LG Electronics Inc. said Monday its new smartphone with a full high-definition screen will go on sale in South Korea this week before hitting shelves in Japan in April.
The Optimus G Pro smartphone features a 5.5-inch screen that packs over 2 million pixels, or twice as many as smartphones with HD screens.
The new Android-powered phone sports other upgrades including a camera that can shoot full HD videos and photographs.
The South Korean company, Sony Corp., HTC Corp. and other phone manufacturers are trying to make high-resolution screens a key feature in their new smartphones this year.
Full HD screens are more common in televisions but smartphone makers began to embrace them this year amid cutthroat competition. One in every two smartphones is made by Samsung Electronics Co. or Apple Inc., creating a hardscrabble fight among the second-tier of makers.
LG executives said their current goal is elevating the reputation of the Optimus brand after turning around the company's mobile communications business following years of losses.
The Optimus G Pro is available at 968,000 won ($894) without in South Korea without a mobile carrier contract.
The model will be on display at the annual mobile fair in Barcelona, Spain kicking off next week.
Once the world's No. 3 mobile phone maker, LG was the fifth-largest mobile phone maker by shipments in 2012 after Samsung, Nokia Corp., Apple and ZTE Corp., according to market research firm IDC.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.11||+0.05|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.34||-0.055|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.55||+0.08|
Opportunities to Be Aware of This Year As the 2013 year is coming to an end, individuals should be mindful of year-end tax planning opportunities that will need to be implemented prior to December 31s...
When was the last time you thought about your mortgage? Most people take out a mortgage with their bank for five years and then forget about it. When you took out that mortgage did anyone discuss ot...
Recently, people have been asking me about my recent Stand Up Paddle adventure around the entire Okanagan Lake. Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote with a link at the end to the complete artic...
- Descartes reports record Q3 revenue, net income falls, following acquisition
- Three years in the making, Canada's anti-spam law coming into force next year
- Rogers snaps up naming rights to future downtown home of Edmonton Oilers
- Sun Media cutting 200 jobs across the company including about 50 from editorial
- Conservatives and NDP battle in war of words over competing energy policies
- BOC to hold interest rates
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: BoC keeps key interest rate unchanged at one per cent
- TSX drops 100 points, Bank of Montreal falls 4.5% as earnings report disappoints
- National Bank to hike dividend following $1.55 billion 2013 annual profit
- CN says redesigning tanker cars most important issue from Lac-Megantic
- Canadian auto sales up 6.5 per cent, Chrysler sees biggest jump of Big Three