Talk of sales tax at economic summit
Feb 9, 2013 / 7:09 pm
Alberta Premier Alison Redford says a sales tax isn't on the agenda, even though many of the panellists at an economic summit that her government convened Saturday said it could be one solution to the province's fiscal woes.
"Oh, I don't think we're anywhere near that at all. I think the fact that people are beginning to talk about it as an idea is a really important thing," Redford told reporters after the day-long event.
"Ideas are important, but no need to jump the gun on that."
By law, Albertans would need to vote on a provincial sales tax through a referendum.
Alberta has prided itself for decades on being the only province not to have a sales tax and Albertans were amongst the most angry when the Conservative government of Brian Mulroney brought in a federal sales tax in the 1990's; two Tory MPs from Alberta left the Conservative caucus in protest.
Redford's government has said it faces a $6-billion oil and gas revenue shortfall, mainly due to the inability for Alberta crude to access markets that will pay the best price.
Among the business people, economists and academics in favour of bringing a sales tax to Alberta were George Gosbee, CEO of investment firm AltaCorp Capital, and University of Calgary tax expert Jack Mintz.
"It's my view that we don't have a cost problem, we have a revenue problem," Gosbee, who said spending cuts would be "draconian."
Gosbee said he's also in favour of bringing back health care premiums.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.18||+0.07|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||+0.04|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.52||-0.03|
Opportunities to Be Aware of This Year As the 2013 year is coming to an end, individuals should be mindful of year-end tax planning opportunities that will need to be implemented prior to December 31s...
When was the last time you thought about your mortgage? Most people take out a mortgage with their bank for five years and then forget about it. When you took out that mortgage did anyone discuss ot...
Recently, people have been asking me about my recent Stand Up Paddle adventure around the entire Okanagan Lake. Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote with a link at the end to the complete artic...
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Sun Media sells 74 community papers in Quebec
- Cost rises to $8.5B for North West refinery project northeast of Edmonton
- PBO even more optimistic than Flaherty of balanced budget in election year 2015
- Dollarama Q3 sales, profit increase as discount chain continues expansion
- Railroads say they'll offer health care benefits to same-sex spouses, 1 day after lawsuit
- WestJet November traffic grows, but load factor dips on higher capacity
- Saputo says it has 13.55 per cent of Australian diary it wants to acquire
- Penalty unclear after Bruce Power misses deadline to get nukes online
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- Building permits up 7.4 per cent in October, Statistics Canada says
- Headphone maker's digital music spinoff Beats Music - formerly MOG - set to launch in January
- Financials punish TSX, dollar slides as central bank leaves rates unchanged