Growth in the Canadian economy
Jan 24, 2013 / 6:20 am
Webcast of a press conference by Governor Mark Carney and Senior Deputy Governor Tiff Macklem about the release of the Monetary Policy Report.
- The global economic outlook is slightly weaker than projected in October, although global tail risks have diminished.
- The slowdown in the Canadian economy in the second half of 2012 was more pronounced than anticipated and economic activity is expected to be more restrained. The economy is now forecast to return to full capacity in the second half of 2014.
- Following an estimated 1.9 per cent in 2012, the economy is expected to grow by 2.0 per cent in 2013 and 2.7 per cent in 2014.
- Total CPI inflation is expected to remain around 1 per cent in the near term before rising gradually, along with core inflation, to the 2 per cent target in the second half of 2014.
- On 4 December 2012 and 23 January 2013, the Bank maintained the target for the overnight rate at 1 per cent.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.19||+0.08|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||+0.04|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.55||0.00|
I saw your comment while reading your business article on Castanet regarding Harvey’s Hamburgers being the “Best Tasting Hamburgers". It is true, Harvey’s usually wins that awa...
Opportunities to Be Aware of This Year As the 2013 year is coming to an end, individuals should be mindful of year-end tax planning opportunities that will need to be implemented prior to December 31s...
When was the last time you thought about your mortgage? Most people take out a mortgage with their bank for five years and then forget about it. When you took out that mortgage did anyone discuss ot...
- Government's 1st measure of creative economy finds arts, culture add $500 billion to GDP
- Transcontinental buys 74 Sun Media community papers in Quebec for $75M
- Canada's exporting sector expects to improve sales over next six months
- Sun Media sells 74 community papers
- Capital Power, Enmax to jointly develop new gas-fired plant near Edmonton
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Tiff Macklem to step down from Bank of Canada
- US economy expands at 3.6 per cent rate in Q3 but business stockpiles drive half of the growth
- US jobless claims tumble 23,000 to 298,000, sign that companies are laying off fewer workers
- CIBC plans to open a branch at Pearson airport to draw in travellers, newcomers
- Transcontinental buying 74 Sun Media community papers in Quebec for $75 million
- RBC president and CEO Gordon Nixon to retire in Aug. 2014
- 'SpongeBob SquarePants,' other Nickelodeon programs come to China online viewers in Sohu deal