Cup of Joe - anytime for Dempsey
Jan 11, 2013 / 8:52 pm
A bankruptcy judge on Friday approved the sale of beleaguered coffee company Tully's to a group led by Patrick Dempsey.
The actor dubbed "McDreamy" in the "Grey's Anatomy" hospital TV drama had claimed victory last week after an auction, but a company that teamed up with Starbucks Corp. to bid for the Tully's Coffee chain filed an objection Wednesday. AgriNurture Inc. said it was still willing to proceed with its combined bid with Starbucks of about $10.6 million.
The bid from Dempsey's company, Global Baristas LLC, was for $9.2 million.
At a hearing Friday afternoon, Judge Karen Overstreet said the Jan. 4 auction was fair and no mistakes had been made.
In a statement, Dempsey said he was "thrilled that we prevailed."
"I've been deeply humbled by the outpouring of support from the city of Seattle and am very proud to be a new business owner in this amazing city," he said. "We have a lot to accomplish over the next few months and years, and I am excited to now call Seattle my second home."
Overstreet said at the conclusion of a hearing Friday that lasted several hours that the auction and the arguments presented by all sides were intricate, but it was not her job to second-guess the decision made by Tully's executives to accept Dempsey's bid.
"Was it complicated? Yes. Did it produce a fantastic result for this case? Yes it did," Overstreet said.
Tully's has 47 shops in Washington and California with more than 500 employees. It filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in October, citing lease obligations and underperforming stores.
After winning last week's bankruptcy auction, Dempsey made an appearance at a Tully's near Pike Place Market, shaking hands with workers and greeting customers before visiting other stores.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.11||+0.05|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.34||-0.055|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.55||+0.08|
Opportunities to Be Aware of This Year As the 2013 year is coming to an end, individuals should be mindful of year-end tax planning opportunities that will need to be implemented prior to December 31s...
When was the last time you thought about your mortgage? Most people take out a mortgage with their bank for five years and then forget about it. When you took out that mortgage did anyone discuss ot...
Recently, people have been asking me about my recent Stand Up Paddle adventure around the entire Okanagan Lake. Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote with a link at the end to the complete artic...
- Board changes expected at Barrick should boost investor sentiment
- Survey: US businesses add 215,000 jobs in November, the most in 12 months
- Descartes reports record Q3 revenue, net income falls, following acquisition
- Three years in the making, Canada's anti-spam law coming into force next year
- Rogers snaps up naming rights to future downtown home of Edmonton Oilers
- Sun Media cutting 200 jobs across the company including about 50 from editorial
- Conservatives and NDP battle in war of words over competing energy policies
- BOC to hold interest rates
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: BoC keeps key interest rate unchanged at one per cent
- TSX drops 100 points, Bank of Montreal falls 4.5% as earnings report disappoints
- National Bank to hike dividend following $1.55 billion 2013 annual profit