BMO Big increase in Q4 for BMO
Dec 4, 2012 / 6:38 am
The Bank of Montreal (TSX:BMO) has reported a big increase in quarterly and annual profit, beating analyst estimates by a wide margin.
For the fourth quarter ended Oct. 31, BMO had a $1.08-billion profit in the fourth quarter, a 41 per cent increase over the same time last year. That amounted to $1.59 per share of net earnings before adjustments.
The bank's adjusted earnings amounted to $1.65 per share, 22 cents a share above the consensus analyst estimate.
BMO' revenue in the fourth quarter from all business segments totalled $4.18 billion, including about $2.3 billion from its personal and commercial banking, up from $3.82 billion in the fourth quarter of 2011.
Analysts had been expecting $1.37 per share of net income and $1.43 per share on an adjusted basis for the fourth quarter, according to estimates compiled by Thomson Reuters. The quarterly revenue estimate had been $3.8 billion.
"BMO's fourth quarter results mark a strong finish to a pivotal year for the bank," said Bill Downe, BMO's president and chief executive officer.
Downe noted that BMO's U.S subsidiary, BMO Harris Bank, had completed the integration on a major acquisition that increased its presence in the U.S. Midwest and kept an eye on the bottom line by reducing staffing levels.
Revenue for the full 2012 financial year increased to $16.1 billion from $13.9 billion in annual revenue last year.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.15||+0.01|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.255||-0.005|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.56||-0.02|
While it is not possible to “rule from the grave”, many people, wishing to ensure that the legacy they have built up during their lifetime lasts, try all manner of things to ensure that th...
Salespeople attend networking events with the objective of finding potential customers. Many, however, are ill-prepared for the task. They don’t have a planned strategy to properly develop opp...
There are few holiday traditions as time-honoured as greeting cards. A mailbox bursting with good tidings from family and friends is one of the fundamental joys of the season. Although their history d...
- Weekly US unemployment benefit applications jump to 379,000, highest in 9 months
- Canada Post head says life after postal carrier still in its 'early stages'
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Military set to announce demise of $2-billion order
- New Millennium Iron names new chief executive, to be based in St. John's, NL
- Samsung, LG to unveil 105-inch curved TVs with ultra-HD resolution
- US existing-home sales fall to 4.9M pace, 3rd straight decline and weakest in nearly a year
- Darden looking to spin off or sell Red Lobster, part of plan to boost shareholder value
- Canadian news networks must be offered to all cable, satellite subscribers: CRTC
- 'Walking Dead' creator Frank Darabont sues AMC over profits from hit zombie drama
- Lawyer for California off-road race crash victims says $5.8M settlement reached
- Number of beneficiaries on EI little changed in October: StatsCan
- Saskatchewan premier says timing is wrong to double Canada Pension Plan rates