State Dept.: Disappointed in NKorea's rescinding invite to US envoy seeking American's release
WASHINGTON - The State Department says it is "deeply disappointed" in North Korea's decision to withdraw for a second time an invitation to a U.S. envoy to discuss the release of a jailed American businessman.
Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki on Sunday called for Kenneth Bae's immediate release and said the US would continue to work actively toward that end.
The decision apparently came in protest of upcoming regularly scheduled joint military exercises between the U.S. and South Korea, which Psaki said are not linked to Bae's case.
Bae was quoted Friday in a pro-Pyongyang newspaper in Japan as saying he had been notified that the U.S. envoy on North Korean human rights issues would come to meet him as early as Monday and no later than the end of the month.
Read more Business News
- Family condemns RCMP BC
- Child pornography sentencePenticton / S. Okanagan
- Bobbitt hearing continuesPenticton / S. Okanagan
- Inquest into teen's Mill deathVernon / N. Okanagan
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.12||+0.01|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.191||+0.001|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.99||+0.05|
|Sunrise Resources Ltd||0.06||0.00|
|Mission Ready Services||0.45||0.00|
This time of year, I always worry about which friends of mine will get caught going off the road in adverse weather conditions. With a little preparation most accidents can be avoided. Having won the...
Photo: Thinkstock.comThe end of record-low rates is nigh, according to one major bank, which has taken a stance and predicted when the Bank of Canada will raise its long-standing overnight rate. &ldq...
The third week in October is “Small Business Week”, a week dedicated to supporting local, small businesses. The week was designed to bring awareness to Canadians about the role small busin...