Canadians who allegedly lost jobs to foreign workers rehired in oilpatch
FORT MCMURRAY, Alta. - The federal government says dozens of ironworkers laid off in Alberta's oilpatch have jobs again.
Earlier this week, the government announced it was investigating allegations that the 65 workers at Imperial Oil's (TSX:IMO) Kearl project were replaced with workers from Croatia at half the pay.
An official with Employment Canada now says all of the laid-off workers have received job offers on other projects.
The company at the centre of the controversy, Pacer Promec Joint Venture, has issued a news release saying it will re-hire Canadians to positions that had been filled by temporary foreign workers.
The company says a subcontractor brought in the workers, and thought it had followed the rules.
The company says the foreign workers should have been put in projects experiencing a labour shortage.
Read more Business News
- Missing snowmobilersCentral Okanagan - 7:35 am
- Grow-op garage fireKelowna - 9:08 am
- Victim sleeps in trailer to prevent theftVernon / N. Okanagan - 9:39 am
- Lumby student rules with pastaKelowna - 9:37 am
How will you pay for this today? Maybe it’s time to change the way you answer this common checkout question.With more payment options than ever, consumers can find easy ways to save money, simpl...
In the razzle dazzle of Hollywood it is hard to find anyone who stands out from the crowd. The fraternity of Actors, Producers, Directors and various other technical guru’s seem to live in a wo...
This past Sunday I drove from Kelowna to Powell River. For those of you who’ve never had to, particularly in winter, it means rising in the wee hours; managing a treacherous journey on the Coqui...