LAS VEGAS, Nev. - A prosecutor handling a felony assault case in Las Vegas against entertainer Flavor Flav said Friday he's watching legal developments in New York after the former rap star was ticketed for speeding and driving without a license on Long Island.
Chief Deputy Clark County District Attorney Richard Scow said he didn't immediately plan to ask a judge to jail the 54-year-old former reality TV star following his most recent run-in with the law.
Flavour Flav, whose legal name is William Jonathan Drayton Jr., was stopped Thursday after he was clocked driving 79 mph in a 55 mph zone, New York state police said. Drayton was reported to have been on the way to his mother's funeral. He is due in court Jan. 28.
Drayton's lawyer in Las Vegas, Kristina Wildeveld, said she didn't think the New York case should affect his Nevada case.
Drayton has pleaded not guilty and is free on bond pending trial April 28 in Nevada state court on charges of felony assault with a deadly weapon and child endangerment with a weapon. Those charges could get him up to 12 years in prison.
He is accused of threatening his longtime girlfriend's then-17-year-old son with a butcher knife during a family argument.
Terms of his release from jail included a requirement to stay out of trouble.
Wildeveld and Scow have said they are discussing a plea agreement that would avoid trial.
Flavour Flav was inducted last year with the rap group Public Enemy into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. His public persona includes wearing a big clock on his chest.
Find Ken Ritter on Twitter: http://twitter.com/krttr