Netflix acquires documentary on the Egyptian protests, signalling push for movie premieres
Nov 4, 2013 / 2:14 pm
NEW YORK, N.Y. - Netflix has acquired the first-run rights to a documentary on the Egyptian protests in Cairo's Tahrir Square, signalling a new push by the subscription company to program movie premieres.
"The Square" will debut exclusively on Netflix early next year, Netflix announced Monday. Jehane Noujaim's documentary depicts the tumult of the Egyptian Revolution beginning in 2011.
"The Square" is playing in New York and Los Angeles theatres. The short theatrical run will qualify the film, an award-winner at the Sundance and Toronto film festivals, for Oscar consideration.
Netflix tried earlier to get into the first-run film distribution business with its indie label, Red Envelope. Several notable documentaries and independent films were co-produced by Netflix when it was just a DVD-by-mail business. But the company shuttered Red Envelope in 2008.
In a letter to shareholders this year, Netflix executives said the company would expand its growing library of original content beyond new TV shows like "House of Cards" and would seek to add "broadly appealing documentaries."
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.28||+0.09|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||0.00|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.54||-0.01|
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
- Spotify to allow users to create playlists on phones and tablets and listen to them for free
- US lurching from 'crisis to crisis,' politics influenced by money: Gary Doer
- Governments offers help to develop seal products in backing Atlantic industry
- Precision Drilling shares plummet as Alberta fund manager sells stake
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- CIBC logs $836M profit in Q4, cautiously optimistic about next year
- Auto insurers urge holiday season refresher as young drivers return home
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Canada creates 21,600 jobs, Nov. jobless rate 6.9%
- New CEO will help prepare Royal Bank for future, as divisions feel the pressure
- TD Bank Q4 profit rises to $1.62 billion, adjusted earnings up but miss estimate
- TSX drops 105 points amid mixed earnings from RBC, TD and CIBC, Fed concerns
- Loonie advances, traders look to Canadian, U.S. jobs data being released Friday