Nasdaq halts its options market due to technical problems, to be closed rest of the day
Nov 3, 2013 / 11:36 am
NEW YORK, N.Y. - The Nasdaq shut down trading on one of its options markets Friday, the latest technical problem to hit the exchange.
Nasdaq OMX said it halted trading at 10:36 a.m. Eastern Time and announced at 2:10 p.m. that it would shut down options trading for the rest of the day. Regular stock trading on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange was not affected.
Nasdaq decided to halt the options market after it saw a surge in orders, which caused the system to stop accepting orders and disseminating quotes, according to a statement from Nasdaq,
The Nasdaq operates two other options markets â€” BX Options and Philadelphia-based PHLX. Those exchanges were not affected by Friday's halt.
The exchange did not say when options trading would resume.
A stock option gives the holder the right, but not the obligation, to buy or sell a stock at a fixed price in the future.
The shutdown is the latest glitch at the exchange. Nasdaq indexes weren't updated for about 45 minutes on Tuesday because of a technical problem. On Aug. 22, trading was halted on the Nasdaq Stock Market for three hours because of a separate technical glitch.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.28||+0.09|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||0.00|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.54||-0.01|
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
- Precision Drilling shares plummet as Alberta fund manager sells stake
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- CIBC logs $836M profit in Q4, cautiously optimistic about next year
- Auto insurers urge holiday season refresher as young drivers return home
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Canada creates 21,600 jobs, Nov. jobless rate 6.9%
- New CEO will help prepare Royal Bank for future, as divisions feel the pressure
- TD Bank Q4 profit rises to $1.62 billion, adjusted earnings up but miss estimate
- TSX drops 105 points amid mixed earnings from RBC, TD and CIBC, Fed concerns
- Loonie advances, traders look to Canadian, U.S. jobs data being released Friday
- Detroit bankruptcy judge follows up major bench ruling with written opinion, urges compromise
- Barrick Gold critic says Munk's departure will be a positive but concerns remain
- Canada's agriculture minister says time running short on reaching new WTO deal