Silver Point Capital buys 19 per cent stake in National Post publisher Postmedia
Nov 1, 2013 / 2:46 pm
TORONTO - A U.S. fund manager has acquired about 19 per cent of Postmedia Network Canada (TSX:PNC.B), owner of several major Canadian newspapers including the National Post.
Silver Point Capital's purchase of 7.4 million Postmedia shares makes the Connecticut-based fund manager one of the largest shareholders of the Toronto-based newspaper publisher.
Postmedia chief financial officer Doug Lamb told the Post in an article published Friday that Silver Point had expressed an interest before making the purchase but didn't disclose the fund's exact plans.
An Oct. 10 filing with Canadian regulators says Silver Point acquired the securities "for investment purposes only and not with a view to influencing the control or direction of Postmedia."
Postmedia owns most of Canwest's former big-city newspapers, including the Montreal Gazette, Ottawa Citizen, Edmonton Journal, Calgary Herald and two Vancouver dailies, the Sun and Province.
The document doesn't say how much Silver Point paid or who sold the block but the regulatory filing followed an usually large trade of Postmedia stock on Sept. 26, when 7.1 million shares traded hands.
The stock closed that day at $1.60, down five cents from the opening, making that transaction worth about $11.4 million. The stock traded as high as $1.95 in the days that followed and closed Thursday at $2.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.11||+0.05|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.34||-0.055|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.55||+0.08|
Opportunities to Be Aware of This Year As the 2013 year is coming to an end, individuals should be mindful of year-end tax planning opportunities that will need to be implemented prior to December 31s...
When was the last time you thought about your mortgage? Most people take out a mortgage with their bank for five years and then forget about it. When you took out that mortgage did anyone discuss ot...
Recently, people have been asking me about my recent Stand Up Paddle adventure around the entire Okanagan Lake. Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote with a link at the end to the complete artic...
- Board changes expected at Barrick should boost investor sentiment
- Survey: US businesses add 215,000 jobs in November, the most in 12 months
- Descartes reports record Q3 revenue, net income falls, following acquisition
- Three years in the making, Canada's anti-spam law coming into force next year
- Rogers snaps up naming rights to future downtown home of Edmonton Oilers
- Sun Media cutting 200 jobs across the company including about 50 from editorial
- Conservatives and NDP battle in war of words over competing energy policies
- BOC to hold interest rates
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: BoC keeps key interest rate unchanged at one per cent
- TSX drops 100 points, Bank of Montreal falls 4.5% as earnings report disappoints
- National Bank to hike dividend following $1.55 billion 2013 annual profit