Business leader is electronics mogul
Oct 30, 2013 / 4:01 pm
Andre Blanleil Jr. knows a thing or two about electronics - and, a thing or two about business.
The owner of Andre's Electronics has been named winner of the prestigious '2013 Business Leader of the Year.'
Blanleil got into the electronics business in 1980 when he opened his first store in the Springfield Centre.
Prior to opening the store, his father, Andre Blanleil Sr. operated an electronics repair store.
Blanleil Jr. bought into half the company and opened the retail store.
Over the past 33 years, the company has expanded to 17 stores in 11 communities across the province.
It was announced during the Kelowna Chamber of Commerce 2013 Business Excellence Awards dinner.
Other award recipients include:
Green Innovator Award – sponsored by Interior Savings Credit Union
- Recipient - Campion Marine Inc.
- Finalists – GreenStep Solutions Inc., UBC Okanagan
Hospitality/Tourism Award – sponsored by Tourism Kelowna
- Recipient – The View Winery
- Finalists – Ancient Hill Winery, Arlo’s Honey Farm
Okanagan Home Magazine Inc. (Justin O’Connor and Christy Hughes) was the recipient of the 2013 Rising Star award sponsored by FortisBC. This award is for companies that have been in business less than three years.
- Finalists: Cheeky Monkey Media, The Hot Box Yoga Kelowna
Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award sponsored by UBC Okanagan
- Recipient: Kylie Sutton, Moksha Yoga Kelowna
- Finalists: Justin O’Connor of Okanagan Home Magazine Inc., Stephen Whiting of StreetText
Community Impact Award sponsored by Urban Systems
- Recipient: The Society of Hope
- Finalists: Accelerate Okanagan, Metro Community, United Way of the Central & South Okanagan Similkameen
Small Business Award (1 - 10 employees) sponsored by Prospera Credit Union
- Recipient: Secure-Rite Mobile Storage Inc. (Lucas Griffen)
- Finalists: Mission Meats, Yeti Farm Creative
Mid-Size Business Award (11 - 30 employees) sponsored by BDO Canada LLP
- Recipient: Hydraclean Restoration Services Ltd. (Mark Gotro)
- Finalists: Artistech Newmedia Inc., Bouchons Bistro, Prestige Collision
Large Business Award (31+ employees) sponsored by MacKay LLP
- Recipient: Wentworth Music (Dale Wentworth)
- Finalists: Northside Industries
“We salute those who have recognized a business opportunity, seized it and prospered,” says Dave Bond, Kelowna Chamber of Commerce President.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.11||+0.05|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.331||-0.009|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.53||-0.02|
I saw your comment while reading your business article on Castanet regarding Harvey’s Hamburgers being the “Best Tasting Hamburgers". It is true, Harvey’s usually wins that awa...
Opportunities to Be Aware of This Year As the 2013 year is coming to an end, individuals should be mindful of year-end tax planning opportunities that will need to be implemented prior to December 31s...
When was the last time you thought about your mortgage? Most people take out a mortgage with their bank for five years and then forget about it. When you took out that mortgage did anyone discuss ot...
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- Building permits up 7.4 per cent in October, Statistics Canada says
- Headphone maker's digital music spinoff Beats Music - formerly MOG - set to launch in January
- Financials punish TSX, dollar slides as central bank leaves rates unchanged
- Loonie falls to May 2010 levels as Bank of Canada leaves rates unchanged
- EU fines group of global banks $2.3 billion for colluding to profit from interest rates market
- Canada posts first trade surplus in 22 months, but exports still weak
- China bars banks from handling bitcoin in new setback for cybercurrency
- Nielsen: Football and other fancy footwork ruled in prime time last week
- Netflix sets Season 2 release of 'House of Cards' on Feb. 14
- US stocks waver as investors try to guess when the Fed will pull back on stimulus; Sears drops
- Study compares tech habits of Canadian boomers versus Gen Y and Z consumers