Time Warner deal gives Al-Jazeera America presence in top markets including NYC, Los Angeles
Oct 29, 2013 / 9:26 pm
NEW YORK, N.Y. - The Al-Jazeera America cable news network, which has attracted little viewer interest during its first two months on the air, announced a deal Tuesday that will give it a significant presence in the country's two largest television markets.
The network said the Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks systems have agreed to add Al-Jazeera America to their lineups over the next six months in New York and Los Angeles, as well as Dallas.
Between that deal, and others that have not been announced, Al-Jazeera will increase its reach from 45 million to 55 million homes, said Ehab Al Shihabi, the network's interim CEO. Probably more important than the numbers is getting exposure in the media industry capitals of New York and Los Angeles.
"This is what America needs," Al Shihabi said. "It needs an informative news channel."
So far, most TV viewers aren't aware of that need. Al-Jazeera America is averaging 14,000 viewers each night in prime time this month, the Nielsen company said. By contrast, Fox News Channel is averaging 1.86 million in prime time, MSNBC has 795,000 and CNN has 576,000 viewers.
Al-Shihabi said that Al-Jazeera America will launch an advertising and marketing effort this month, primarily to educate potential viewers where to find it. The executive said he constantly hears from people interested in watching who have no idea where to find the network locally.
"Come, watch it, taste it, and let's get your feedback," he said.
Al-Jazeera America is the English-language counterpart to the Qatar-based Al-Jazeera network. Al-Jazeera bought out Al Gore's Current TV network to find a place on the television dial in many markets across the country.
Al-Shihabi said he plans to add new American bureaus over the next six months, most likely in Boston and Atlanta, to add to the 12 it already operates. He also said he anticipates adding some 70 to 80 new jobs.
The network's goal is to be in 70 million homes by the end of 2014, he said. In the next few months, it will start a new morning news program, a weekly sports show and multiple documentary series.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.28||+0.09|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||0.00|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.54||-0.01|
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
- Central bank for euro currency union keeps rates on hold despite weak recovery
- First Nations deeply mistrust energy sector: university study
- US factory orders drop 0.9 per cent in October on fewer orders for aircrafts and computers
- Kroger 3rd-quarter profit matches Wall Street expectations; sticks to its outlook for the year
- Government's 1st measure of creative economy finds arts, culture add $500 billion to GDP
- Transcontinental buys 74 Sun Media community papers in Quebec for $75M
- Canada's exporting sector expects to improve sales over next six months
- Sun Media sells 74 community papers
- Capital Power, Enmax to jointly develop new gas-fired plant near Edmonton
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Tiff Macklem to step down from Bank of Canada
- US economy expands at 3.6 per cent rate in Q3 but business stockpiles drive half of the growth
- US jobless claims tumble 23,000 to 298,000, sign that companies are laying off fewer workers