Standard & Poor's 500 index sets another record even as other indexes slip; JC Penney rises
Oct 29, 2013 / 4:30 am
NEW YORK, N.Y. - The Standard & Poor's 500 index is closing at another record high even as other U.S. stock indexes edge lower.
Good news from J.C. Penney helped offset disappointing earnings reports from some U.S. companies.
Merck fell after the drugmaker sharply lowered its profit forecast and reported a plunge in third-quarter earnings.
The S&P 500 rose two points, or 0.1 per cent, to 1,762. It also closed at record highs last Tuesday and Friday.
The Dow Jones industrial average slipped a point to 15,568.
The Nasdaq composite fell three points, or 0.1 per cent, to 3,940.
Homebuilders fell after the number of Americans who signed contracts to buy previously occupied homes fell in September to the lowest in nine months, reflecting higher mortgage rates and home prices.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.20||-0.08|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.37||-0.01|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.56||+0.02|
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay couples for wedding celebrations
- Custom offers, guidance as you walk around Apple stores with precise location technology
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- Housing starts fall in November: CMHC
- Markets advance, strong U.S. jobs data competes with Fed tapering concerns
- Canadian dollar closes lower amid strong Canadian, U.S. jobs reports
- Google, Facebook, other major tech companies call for tighter controls on government snooping
- Canadian big banks post record profits in 2013, but outlook raises concern
- Ontario company to be sentenced in deadly Toronto propane plant blast
- Singer Bocelli visits MIT for workshop on adaptive technology for the visually impaired
- Cosmopolitan Las Vegas opens new glass factory-themed concert and meeting space
- US unemployment rate falls to 5-year low of 7 per cent as employers add 203,000 jobs