Cenovus Q3 operating earnings below estimates; refinery arm hit by low prices
Oct 24, 2013 / 9:46 am
CALGARY - Cenovus Energy Inc. (TSX:CVE) reports its operating earnings were $313 million, or 41 cents per share, in the third quarter.
That's down from $432 million or 57 cents per share a year earlier and seven cents below an estimate of 48 cents per share.
The Calgary-based company says its refining operations suffered from lower prices, which partially offset strong performance in its oil operations.
Operating cash flow from oil production was $915 million, 40 per cent higher than in the same period a year earlier, thanks to a combination of higher output and higher realized prices.
But operating cash flow from refinery operations was down 75 per cent from a year earlier, falling to $133 million.
"Stronger realized crude prices and higher oil production led to a solid increase in operating cash flow from our oil assets in the third quarter," said Cenovus president and CEO Brian Ferguson
"That helped offset most of the impact from a significant drop in market crack spreads and higher feedstock costs which led to a large year-over-year decrease in operating cash flow from our refining assets."
In addition to the operating earnings, Cenovus reported $370 million of net earnings, or 49 cents per share, up from $289 million or 38 cents per share a year earlier, due to unrealized gains from hedging.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.20||-0.08|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.37||-0.01|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.56||+0.02|
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
- Canadian TV rights deal approval, salary cap on tap for NHL board of governors
- Quebec revenue agency wants $750 million in fines for alleged gold fraud
- Markets set to rise on string of economic data amid concerns over Fed stimulus
- Greek lawmakers pass 2014 budget that forecasts return to growth
- Senate proposal: open Mexico's state-run oil sector to private companies
- Expert tells jury Warhol portrait of Fawcett at centre of dispute is worth $12 million
- Newfoundland premier will announce financing for $7.7B hydro project: sources
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay couples for wedding celebrations
- Custom offers, guidance as you walk around Apple stores with precise location technology
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- Housing starts fall in November: CMHC
- Markets advance, strong U.S. jobs data competes with Fed tapering concerns