'Gravity' holds atop box office for 3rd week in a row with $31 million
Oct 21, 2013 / 12:24 pm
NEW YORK, N.Y. - Topping the box office for the third straight week, the space adventure "Gravity" continues to be the box-office juggernaut of the fall.
The film, starring Sandra Bullock, earned $31 million over the weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday. The Warner Bros. film has now made more than $170 million in three weeks.
Tom Hanks' Somali pirate docudrama "Captain Phillips" also held in second place at the box office, taking in $17.3 million in its second week.
"Gravity" and "Captain Phillips," both likely Oscar contenders headlined by veteran stars, were able to best the horror film remake "Carrie" in its debut weekend. The Sony film opened with $17 million.
The WikiLeaks drama "The Fifth Estate" opened poorly, taking in a paltry $1.7 million. Sylvester Stallone's "Escape Plan" debuted with $9.8 million.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.18||-0.02|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.37||0.00|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.575||+0.015|
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
- Oil falls slightly; natural gas gains on stormy weather, forecast for cold
- European air and defence company EADS to cut 5,800 jobs as part of major overhaul
- Lululemon Athletica names Laurent Potdevin as CEO, replacing Christine Day
- Your guide to the 2013 Nobels in literature, chemistry, physics, medicine, peace and economics
- Calgary's Equal Energy to be acquired by Petroflow in US$230M deal
- Canadian TV rights deal approval, salary cap on tap for NHL board of governors
- Quebec revenue agency wants $750 million in fines for alleged gold fraud
- Markets set to rise on string of economic data amid concerns over Fed stimulus
- Greek lawmakers pass 2014 budget that forecasts return to growth
- Senate proposal: open Mexico's state-run oil sector to private companies
- Expert tells jury Warhol portrait of Fawcett at centre of dispute is worth $12 million
- Newfoundland premier will announce financing for $7.7B hydro project: sources