Non-resident investment in Canadian securities slowed in August: StatsCan
Oct 17, 2013 / 12:40 pm
OTTAWA - Statistics Canada says non-resident investment in Canadian securities slowed to $2.1 billion in August and was focused on corporate debt instruments.
The federal agency says Canadian investment in foreign securities rose to $5.7 billion, the largest investment since November 2012.
Foreigners bought $3.3 billion in corporate bonds in August, while reducing their holdings of government bonds by $1.2 billion.
Meanwhile, Statistics Canada says that between January and August, foreign investors reduced their holdings of Canadian government bonds by $2.4 billion, compared with an acquisition of $28.7 billion for the same period in 2012.
Foreign investors sold a net $2.2 billion of Canadian equities in August, following four straight months of purchases that totalled $8.2 billion.
On a sector basis, pharmaceutical, energy, gold and resource shares accounted for the bulk of the divestment.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.11||+0.05|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.34||-0.055|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.55||+0.08|
Opportunities to Be Aware of This Year As the 2013 year is coming to an end, individuals should be mindful of year-end tax planning opportunities that will need to be implemented prior to December 31s...
When was the last time you thought about your mortgage? Most people take out a mortgage with their bank for five years and then forget about it. When you took out that mortgage did anyone discuss ot...
Recently, people have been asking me about my recent Stand Up Paddle adventure around the entire Okanagan Lake. Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote with a link at the end to the complete artic...
- Survey: US businesses add 215,000 jobs in November, the most in 12 months
- Descartes reports record Q3 revenue, net income falls, following acquisition
- Three years in the making, Canada's anti-spam law coming into force next year
- Rogers snaps up naming rights to future downtown home of Edmonton Oilers
- Sun Media cutting 200 jobs across the company including about 50 from editorial
- Conservatives and NDP battle in war of words over competing energy policies
- BOC to hold interest rates
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: BoC keeps key interest rate unchanged at one per cent
- TSX drops 100 points, Bank of Montreal falls 4.5% as earnings report disappoints
- National Bank to hike dividend following $1.55 billion 2013 annual profit
- CN says redesigning tanker cars most important issue from Lac-Megantic