Alberta Learners In BC
A: No law is being broken should a holder of an Alberta Learners Drivers license under the age of 16 drive in British Columbia. An Alberta Learner Drivers Licence is only valid when driving the vehicle with a person 18 years of age or older and the person must hold a valid drivers licence for the class of vehicle which is being driven. There are restrictions and regulations on the time of day which an Alberta Learner may drive.
Novice Operator's Licences
Learner's operator's licence
Section 11(1) of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act OPERATOR LICENSING AND VEHICLE CONTROL REGULATION indicates that a person who is 14 years old or older and less than 16 years old may apply for a learner's operator's licence if a parent or guardian of the applicant consents by signing the application.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to an application for a duplicate
(3) The Registrar shall suspend or cancel a learner's operator's
licence issued to a person
(a) if the person is less than 14 years old,
(b) if the person did not submit the consent required by
subsection (1), or
(c) if the parent or guardian of the person, in writing,
withdraws the consent given in the application.
Supervision of learners
31 A person who is supervising a holder of a learner's operator's
licence for the purposes of section 51(e), (f), (f.1) or (f.2) of the Act
shall be 18 years old or older.
Learner's operator's licence
32(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), a Class 7 operator's
licence is classified as a learner's operator's licence for the
purposes of the Act and the regulations.
(2) A Class 7 operator's licence is not classified as a learner's
operator's licence if the holder of the licence is driving the
(a) a moped, or
(b) an off-highway vehicle on a highway pursuant to an
authorization granted under section 120(4) of the Act.
(3) Sections 51(g) and 90 of the Act apply to a holder of a Class 7
operator's licence referred to in subsection (2) as if the licensee
were the holder of a learner's operator's licence.
(4) A learner driver shall not drive a motor vehicle if there are
fewer seat belt assemblies as required by the Vehicle Equipment
Regulation in the vehicle than there are passengers.
(5) A learner driver shall not drive a motor vehicle during the
period between midnight and 5:00 a.m.
(6) Despite subsection (5), a learner driver shall not drive a motor
cycle or a moped during night time.
(7) A learner driver shall not apply for a Class 1, 2, 3 or 4
(8) A learner driver shall not apply for a Class 5 or 6 operator's
licence until the driver has held the learner's operator's licence for
at least 12 months excluding a period during which the person's
operator's licence is suspended or cancelled or the person is
disqualified from holding an operator's licence.
(9) If a person holds a learner's operator's licence that is cancelled
and later is issued another learner's operator's licence, the period of
the original learner's operator's licence may be included in
calculating the 12 months required under subsection (8).
(10) The Registrar shall not issue a Class 5 or 6 operator's licence
to a learner driver who has 8 or more demerit points under the Act
at the time the person applies for the Class 5 or 6 operator's licence
if the person's Class 7 operator's licence is issued before this
Regulation comes into force.
Read more Behind the Wheel articles
Tim Schewe has been writing his column for most of the 20 years in his traffic enforcement service in the RCMP. It was 'The Beat Goes On' in Fort St. John, 'Traffic Tips' in the South Okanagan and now 'Behind the Wheel' on Vancouver Island and now Castanet.net. Schewe retired from the Force in January of 2006, but the column became a habit and continues.
E-mail him your questions or concerns: [email protected]
- Your Worship, the officer was a jerk! Mar 1
- Need an eyewitness? Buy a dash cam Feb 22
- Is it a crosswalk or a speed hump? Feb 15
- Turn on your lights! Feb 8
- Collision with an animal - what to do? Feb 1
- Left turns into the correct lane Jan 25
- BC highways: Safety & Speed Review Jan 18
- Backup and docking lights Jan 11
(Click for RSS instructions.)