Suspect rams cop car, drags officer
Sep 15, 2013 / 12:57 pm
A man well known to police was arrested Saturday evening, after he allegedly held on to the arresting officers arm as he attempted to flee in his vehicle, dragging the officer down Highway 29 in Chetwynd.
At 6:16 p.m., Chetwynd RCMP observed a grey vehicle travelling at a high rate of speed on Highway 29 north of Chetwynd.
The initial traffic stop happened when officers saw the driver throw a beer can out his window and detained him for an impaired driving investigation.
The suspect fled the scene on foot before jumping back into his vehicle. When a Chetwynd RCMP officer attempted to stop the driver, the officer was dragged alongside the vehicle for a short time before he managed to free himself from the man’s grasp.
A pursuit ensued, during which the suspect rammed a Chetwynd police vehicle head-on before being captured and arrested.
The suspect is well known to police and is being held in custody by the Chetwynd RCMP on several criminal code offences.
Read more BC News
- Man arrested after calling 9-1-1 for help
- Hunter found after cold BC night
- 60-year-old shot and killed
- Snowboarder dies on Grouse Mtn.
- Child abductor gets 6 years in prison
- Temperatures to drop next week
- Weekend road report
- Elderly man kills two pedestrians
- House fire kills 1 in Langley
- B.C. legislature dome needs pricy refit
- Kamloops - Fraud against seniors
- Coquitlam middle school evacuated
(Click for RSS instructions.)