Shooting victim is former city councillor
Sep 1, 2013 / 6:18 pm
The victim of a broad-daylight shooting in Maple Ridge is realtor and former city councillor Franz Prokop, family members have told CTV News.
Prokop, who works for Macdonald Realty, was reportedly shot on a property east of 240 Street and Lougheed Highway just after 1 p.m. Saturday afternoon.
Police said a man called 911 by himself after the incident who said he'd been shot.
He was then airlifted to hospital with unknown injuries for emergency surgery. Officials are still trying to determine exactly what happened.
Ridge Meadows RCMP spokeswoman Cpl. Alanna Dunlop confirmed the victim was shot, but did not confirm his identity. “We’re securing the property, searching the property. We did not locate anyone else on the property when we arrived,” she said Saturday.
RCMP shut down a stretch of Lougheed Highway while investigators and police dogs searched for the alleged shooter, who has not yet been located.
Prokop’s family said Sunday he’s in stable condition. He has a land listing in the area of the shooting priced at nearly $1.9-million – but it’s still unclear exactly where the incident took place.
Police have said it does not appear to be a random act.
Read more BC News
- Weekend road report
- Elderly man kills two pedestrians
- House fire kills 1 in Langley
- B.C. legislature dome needs pricy refit
- Kamloops - Fraud against seniors
- Coquitlam middle school evacuated
- Coquihalla reopened
- Strikes loom at Okanagan schools
- Gov't endorses alcohol sales in stores
- Whistler sled dogs still need homes
- December CounterAttack roadchecks on
- Mounties make arrest in deadly collision
(Click for RSS instructions.)