Avalanche victim identified
Feb 19, 2013 / 8:58 pm
The BC Coroners Service has confirmed the identity of a man who died in an avalanche in the Purcell Mountains on Feb. 18.
The man is Gotz-Thilo Ries, aged 34, of Karlsehie, Germany.
Mr. Ries was one of a group of 12 persons on a heli-skiing tour in the Purcell Mountains east of Jumbo Mountain.
On their sixth run of the day, a Class 2 avalanche occurred in the area where they were skiing. Mr. Ries was buried by the avalanche.
The mountain guide, who was with the group and other skiers, dug Mr. Ries out as quickly as possible.
Mr. Ries was taken by helicopter to hospital in Invermere but could not be revived.
The BC Coroners Service and RCMP continue to investigate this death.
Read more BC News
- Victim identified in Vancouver homicide
- Man arrested after calling 9-1-1 for help
- Hunter found after cold BC night
- 60-year-old shot and killed
- Snowboarder dies on Grouse Mtn.
- Child abductor gets 6 years in prison
- Temperatures to drop next week
- Weekend road report
- Elderly man kills two pedestrians
- House fire kills 1 in Langley
- B.C. legislature dome needs pricy refit
- Kamloops - Fraud against seniors
(Click for RSS instructions.)