Burnaby fire destroys 138 apartments
Feb 17, 2013 / 2:48 pm
A three-alarm blaze has destroyed 138 homes in an apartment building in Burnaby, B.C.
Firefighters raced to make rescues of screaming residents while knocking down the fire that engulfed the building overnight.
At some points, people were hanging out of windows hollering for help until ladders were used to evacuate them and their pets.
Assistant Fire Chief Ken Moore says crews arrived to see flames shooting out of all sides of the building (on Smith Ave. near Canada Way.)
Authorities say the building is a write-off and people have lost all their belongings, while early on they believe the fire began in the basement.
Some people and animals were treated for smoke inhalation.
Read more BC News
- Ferry officer will appeal conviction
- ATV rider swept over falls, killed
- Evacuation order lifted near Ashcroft
- Rock hits tent killing girl, 10 and her dad
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
- Forest fire Evacuation Alert now an Order
- Artifacts stolen from God's house
- Evacuation alert in Thompson-Nicola
- Kamloops man shot in leg
- Mounties shoot man on SkyTrain
- Targeted shooting at a Coquitlam home
(Click for RSS instructions.)