Attacker snapped up with help
Feb 6, 2013 / 1:54 pm
Vancouver police have arrested a man with the help of a Good Samaritan after a violent sexual assault downtown sent a victim to hospital.
Sgt. Randy Fincham says the 25-year-old woman was waiting for a bus at 3 a.m. on Jan. 30 when she was grabbed by a man, carried onto Granville Street and sexually assaulted.
But Fincham says the woman screamed loudly and actively fought back, prompting a witnesses to intervene.
The attacker bolted and tried to get into several taxis, but he was refused service and he fled down Granville Street.
Police say they arrested 26-year-old Dustin Burwood last weekend after they obtained a photo of a person-of-interest in the sexual assault.
Police wouldn't say how they got the photo or how the Good Samaratin helped out, but say the woman, who was taken to hospital with minor injuries, did everything right to protect herself.
Read more BC News
- Grand theft vessel after ferry stolen
- Family of five submerged in river
- Highway 1 reopened
- Victim identified in Vancouver homicide
- Man arrested after calling 9-1-1 for help
- Hunter found after cold BC night
- 60-year-old shot and killed
- Snowboarder dies on Grouse Mtn.
- Child abductor gets 6 years in prison
- Temperatures to drop next week
- Weekend road report
- Elderly man kills two pedestrians
(Click for RSS instructions.)