BC Place workers set to strike Monday
Jan 27, 2013 / 7:21 pm
Nearly 500 workers at BC Place stadium in Vancouver are set to strike Monday morning.
The workers include 38 full-time workers and 460 part-time employees who are members of the B.C. Government Employees Union.
The union says the strike comes after three days of bargaining last week failed to produce a deal.
The affected employees work in the areas of trades, security, first aid, equipment and event setup, and housekeeping, though they don't include food service workers.
The union says in a news release that the main issues in the dispute are job security and the contracting out of work, as well as wages.
The union says upcoming events at BC Place include the Year of the Snake Expo, which promotes Asian arts and culture, the Vancouver International Boat Show, and the B.C. Home and Garden show.
Read more BC News
- Man and woman hurt in double shooting
- Pipeline spill southwest of Merritt
- Charges laid in skateboard assault case
- Pipeline backlash following latest spill
- Crash of small plane claims lone pilot
- Woman gives birth at Richmond mall
- Pin pad fraud
- Malaysian company to invest $16B
- Premier's first priority? Raises for staff
- Charges approved against 229 in riot
- RCMP seeking stolen dirtbike
- Okanagan prepares for invasive species
(Click for RSS instructions.)