Clark's Republic Day of India message
Jan 26, 2013 / 9:12 am
Premier Christy Clark extended her best wishes to everyone celebrating the 64th Republic Day of India.
"Republic Day commemorates the date when the Constitution of India came into effect, and the republic was formed. In just 64 years, India has become the largest democracy in the world with the fastest growing middle class. Today represents a time to join together in celebration of India's rich culture and heritage and to honour those who helped build it.
"British Columbia has a vibrant Indo-Canadian community, which has played an important role in the development of our great province. Our province and India have strong cultural and economic ties, which I hope you will see on colourful display at the inaugural The Times of India Film Awards to be held in Vancouver this year.
"Celebrations like today's help us to develop a greater appreciation of the international component of our growing and diverse society.
"I wish British Columbia's Indo-Canadian community a meaningful and memorable anniversary celebration."
Read more BC News
- Hunter found after cold BC night
- 60-year-old shot and killed
- Snowboarder dies on Grouse Mtn.
- Child abductor gets 6 years in prison
- Temperatures to drop next week
- Weekend road report
- Elderly man kills two pedestrians
- House fire kills 1 in Langley
- B.C. legislature dome needs pricy refit
- Kamloops - Fraud against seniors
- Coquitlam middle school evacuated
- Coquihalla reopened
(Click for RSS instructions.)