Man smoked-out in cigarette heists
Jan 25, 2013 / 12:10 pm
Mounties have arrested a man they believe was responsible for a six-month cigarette-theft crime wave in Metro Vancouver, southern Vancouver Island and the Interior.
Police say a man appeared to be targeting store owners who had just made large cigarette purchases at Costco stores in Saanich, Langford, Nanaimo, Burnaby, Abbotsford, Coquitlam and Kamloops.
The suspect would break into the vehicles of people who had just purchased thousands of dollars worth of cigarettes.
Police identified a suspect and began following the man and say officers watched him put on a disguise, break into a vehicle and take $3,200 worth of cigarettes that the driver had just purchased.
Forty-six-year-old Christopher Sharafi of Langley, B.C., was arrested at the scene.
Sharafi has been charged with 13 offences, including four counts each of mischief and theft and two counts of possession of stolen property.
Read more BC News
- Coal mine rejected on Vancouver Island
- Ahmadiyya mosque opens in Delta
- BC NDP's bus ride went beyond Hope
- Vancouver man shot dead in Costa Rica
- Company intercepts LSD-laced mail
- Hydro project to go ahead in northern BC
- Pickton victims' families skeptical
- Coroners warn of water danger
- RCMP surround Langley home
- Beware of counterfeit polymer $100's
- Cowichan to close six middle schools
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
(Click for RSS instructions.)