Update: House fire claims a life
Jan 17, 2013 / 4:00 pm
Update 4 p.m. - This afternoon Revelstoke RCMP, the BC Coroners Service and the Office of the Fire Commissioner were able to enter into the residence at Tillen Road. Upon entry, the 52 year old resident was found deceased.
A 52-year-old man is missing following an early morning house fire in Revelstoke.
The fire started at about 5:45 a.m. Thursday.
Emergency crews say the house was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived.
A 25-year-old female resident of the home managed to escape the blaze through a window, however, she told investigators at the scene her father was still inside.
"The fire has since been extinguished and, at this time, we have one male who is unaccounted for," says Cst. Lesley Smith.
"The investigation is still in its early stages. Police and fire crew investigators are working together to locate the missing home owner and to determine what caused the fire."
Smith says the woman is receiving grief counselling and emotional support from RCMP Victim Services.
Volunteers are also providing her with all necessities including clothing and a safe place to stay.
The woman was uninjured.
Read more BC News
- Man and woman hurt in double shooting
- Pipeline spill southwest of Merritt
- Charges laid in skateboard assault case
- Pipeline backlash following latest spill
- Crash of small plane claims lone pilot
- Woman gives birth at Richmond mall
- Pin pad fraud
- Malaysian company to invest $16B
- Premier's first priority? Raises for staff
- Charges approved against 229 in riot
- RCMP seeking stolen dirtbike
- Okanagan prepares for invasive species
(Click for RSS instructions.)