Minor avalanche injures one
Jan 8, 2013 / 4:30 pm
COURTENAY, B.C. - One person has been injured in an avalanche on Mount Washington on central Vancouver Island.
RCMP spokesman Cpl. Darren Langan says the avalanche was minor and a search-and-rescue crew is on the way to help evacuate those caught in the slide.
Langan couldn't say how badly injured the one victim was and says everyone has been accounted for in the group.
The number of people involved is unclear, but as many as four people may have been in the area at the time of the avalanche.
Brent Curtain, a spokesman for Mount Washington Ski Resort, says the avalanche happened in the backcountry, outside the resort's boundaries.
Read more BC News
- Body of missing senior found
- Atheist ad rejected by billboard company
- Site C dam will drown their dream home
- Suspect damages police cars in Burnaby
- Canadian luge team: 2nd in World Cup
- Woman convicted for stabbing ex
- Boater rescued from remote BC channel
- 54,000 without power near Victoria
- Crash near Cranbrook kills 2
- School trustees want special hydro rate
- Sea otter shot in face now stable
- Richmond man shot in tile store
(Click for RSS instructions.)