Minor avalanche injures one
Jan 8, 2013 / 4:30 pm
COURTENAY, B.C. - One person has been injured in an avalanche on Mount Washington on central Vancouver Island.
RCMP spokesman Cpl. Darren Langan says the avalanche was minor and a search-and-rescue crew is on the way to help evacuate those caught in the slide.
Langan couldn't say how badly injured the one victim was and says everyone has been accounted for in the group.
The number of people involved is unclear, but as many as four people may have been in the area at the time of the avalanche.
Brent Curtain, a spokesman for Mount Washington Ski Resort, says the avalanche happened in the backcountry, outside the resort's boundaries.
Read more BC News
- Ferry officer will appeal conviction
- ATV rider swept over falls, killed
- Evacuation order lifted near Ashcroft
- Rock hits tent killing girl, 10 and her dad
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
- Forest fire Evacuation Alert now an Order
- Artifacts stolen from God's house
- Evacuation alert in Thompson-Nicola
- Kamloops man shot in leg
- Mounties shoot man on SkyTrain
- Targeted shooting at a Coquitlam home
(Click for RSS instructions.)