Man, 70, on a mission with his scooter
Jan 8, 2013 / 11:26 am
RCMPin Kamloops were able to corral a 70-year-old man who left a care facility early Monday morning.
Police say they were alerted to after the man left the facility on Desmond St. about 4:40 a.m. Monday on his electric scooter.
Staff at Ridgeview Lodge were concerned the man was not dressed for the weather and believed he may be suffering from the onset of degenerative mental functioning.
Police spotted the man on Desmond St., and based on numerous tracks in the snow, believed the man was doing laps around the block.
"The officer reported the man was subsequently 'corralled' to a stop following what he described as a short, 'very slow speed pursuit," says S.Sgt Grant Learned.
"Once the officer gained the man's attention the elderly gentleman was very cooperative and returned ;promptly to Ridgeview Lodge on his scooter after being asked to do so. The officer accompanied the man back into the facility where the gentleman turned over his scooter keys to the care providers on duty."
Read more BC News
- Snowboarder dies on Grouse Mtn.
- Child abductor gets 6 years in prison
- Temperatures to drop next week
- Weekend road report
- Elderly man kills two pedestrians
- House fire kills 1 in Langley
- B.C. legislature dome needs pricy refit
- Kamloops - Fraud against seniors
- Coquitlam middle school evacuated
- Coquihalla reopened
- Strikes loom at Okanagan schools
- Gov't endorses alcohol sales in stores
(Click for RSS instructions.)