Train car falls on Highway
Jan 3, 2013 / 7:25 pm
On January 3, just before 2 p.m. Whistler Pemberton RCMP received a call from a person who witnessed a train derailment between Whistler and Pemberton.
A north bound CN Rail train derailed on an overpass approximately 10 km. south of Pemberton. Three empty rail cars derailed with one falling from the overpass blocking Highway 99 below.
The highway was closed while the damage was assessed and then re-opened to single lane alternating traffic at 3:45 p.m.
It is expected that the roadway will remain single lane alternating until at least the morning of January 4 when it is expected the remaining rail cars can be removed. Those people travelling between Whistler and Pemberton are advised to allow extra time for their journey.
There were no injuries as a result of this incident however one vehicle suffered some minor damage from flying debris. The cause of the incident remains under investigation
Read more BC News
- SUV crashes off Mayne Island
- Man and woman hurt in double shooting
- Pipeline spill southwest of Merritt
- Charges laid in skateboard assault case
- Pipeline backlash following latest spill
- Crash of small plane claims lone pilot
- Woman gives birth at Richmond mall
- Pin pad fraud
- Malaysian company to invest $16B
- Premier's first priority? Raises for staff
- Charges approved against 229 in riot
- RCMP seeking stolen dirtbike
(Click for RSS instructions.)