Vancouver Island fire takes life
Dec 31, 2012 / 12:31 pm
PARKSVILLE, B.C. - Mounties on Vancouver Island say one person is dead following a fire that destroyed a local home.
The fire broke out late Sunday afternoon in Nanoose, a community located north of Nanaimo, B.C.
Police say family members confirmed 85-year-old Beatrice Sharock resided alone in the residence and was in the home the night before the blaze.
They say firefighters discovered a body inside the residence this morning.
Police say there's no indication of foul play or that the fire was suspicious in nature, but officers, firefighters and the BC Coroners Service are continuing their investigation.
Read more BC News
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
- Body recovered at Golden Ears Park
- Body recovered from creek
- Fire prohibitions start today
- Elections BC: don't tweet on election day
- Fire fighters aided by rain, cool temps
- Ferry officer will appeal conviction
- ATV rider swept over falls, killed
- Evacuation order lifted near Ashcroft
- Rock hits tent killing girl, 10 and her dad
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
(Click for RSS instructions.)