Vancouver: 40 more up for riot charges
Dec 21, 2012 / 1:22 pm
Vancouver police have recommended charges against another 40 people in connection with the June 2011 riot in downtown Vancouver.
The department has now recommended charges against a total of 315 people, and Const. Brian Montague says the Crown will have approved charges against 171 of them by Friday.
The latest charges include mischief, assault and arson resulting from the mayhem that saw mobs smash windows, burn cars and loot stores after the Canucks lost Game 7 of The Stanley Cup final to the Boston Bruins.
Montague says police are still receiving tips including video and photos from the riot, and some have come from suspected rioters' family members.
Several people have already pleaded guilty for their part in the riot, and the Crown has indicated it will be appealing what it considers lenient sentences for two men.
The Crown wanted a nine-month jail term for one man who got 60 days, to be served on weekend, while another got 90 days in jail on weekends although the Crown asked for a six-month sentence.
Read more BC News
- Victim identified in Vancouver homicide
- Man arrested after calling 9-1-1 for help
- Hunter found after cold BC night
- 60-year-old shot and killed
- Snowboarder dies on Grouse Mtn.
- Child abductor gets 6 years in prison
- Temperatures to drop next week
- Weekend road report
- Elderly man kills two pedestrians
- House fire kills 1 in Langley
- B.C. legislature dome needs pricy refit
- Kamloops - Fraud against seniors
(Click for RSS instructions.)