One in custody after shooting on VI
Nov 10, 2012 / 4:30 pm
One man is in custody after an early morning shooting in Qualicum Beach, on Vancouver Island.
The incident happened just after midnight on Saturday morning when Oceanside RCMP and the BC Ambulance Service were called to a report of shots fired at a residence.
Corporal Jesse Foreman of the Oceanside RCMP, says a 56-year-old man went to a home where his ex-girlfriend resides and took several shots at the house with a high powered rifle, before fleeing the area in his pickup truck.
Inside the home, a 22-year-old man who was visiting was hit in the leg by one of the bullets. He was rushed to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital and later airlifted to Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria for surgery.
The 44-year-old ex-girlfriend was the only other person in the home and was not injured.
At 1:40 a.m., a patrol officer on Highway 19a in Qualicum Beach spotted the suspect’s vehicle. The Oceanside RCMP officer stopped the vehicle and took the suspect into custody without incident. A loaded rifle was found in the pickup truck.
The suspect is a resident of Qualicum Beach and is being held in custody until he can make his first court appearance in Nanaimo Provincial Court on Tuesday.
Oceanside RCMP are recommending two counts of attempted murder. No names have been released at this time.
Read more BC News
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
- Forest fire Evacuation Alert now an Order
- Artifacts stolen from God's house
- Evacuation alert in Thompson-Nicola
- Kamloops man shot in leg
- Mounties shoot man on SkyTrain
- Targeted shooting at a Coquitlam home
- Search for BC teen continues
- Juror excused at BC ferry sinking trial
- Body found following swimming tragedy
- 72-hour strike notice given to FortisBC
(Click for RSS instructions.)