One in custody after shooting on VI
Nov 10, 2012 / 4:30 pm
One man is in custody after an early morning shooting in Qualicum Beach, on Vancouver Island.
The incident happened just after midnight on Saturday morning when Oceanside RCMP and the BC Ambulance Service were called to a report of shots fired at a residence.
Corporal Jesse Foreman of the Oceanside RCMP, says a 56-year-old man went to a home where his ex-girlfriend resides and took several shots at the house with a high powered rifle, before fleeing the area in his pickup truck.
Inside the home, a 22-year-old man who was visiting was hit in the leg by one of the bullets. He was rushed to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital and later airlifted to Royal Jubilee Hospital in Victoria for surgery.
The 44-year-old ex-girlfriend was the only other person in the home and was not injured.
At 1:40 a.m., a patrol officer on Highway 19a in Qualicum Beach spotted the suspect’s vehicle. The Oceanside RCMP officer stopped the vehicle and took the suspect into custody without incident. A loaded rifle was found in the pickup truck.
The suspect is a resident of Qualicum Beach and is being held in custody until he can make his first court appearance in Nanaimo Provincial Court on Tuesday.
Oceanside RCMP are recommending two counts of attempted murder. No names have been released at this time.
Read more BC News
- Body of missing senior found
- Atheist ad rejected by billboard company
- Site C dam will drown their dream home
- Suspect damages police cars in Burnaby
- Canadian luge team: 2nd in World Cup
- Woman convicted for stabbing ex
- Boater rescued from remote BC channel
- 54,000 without power near Victoria
- Crash near Cranbrook kills 2
- School trustees want special hydro rate
- Sea otter shot in face now stable
- Richmond man shot in tile store
(Click for RSS instructions.)