No dope, this cop's chat goes viral
Nov 9, 2012 / 3:58 pm
A Victoria university student's Internet search for marijuana has gone viral thanks in no small part to a media savvy Victoria cop.
The unknown student's quest to purchase some marijuana near or at the University of Victoria campus sparked a wide ranging discussion that had stoners interacting with Victoria Police Cst. Mike Russell.
It all happened on the social news website Reddit, where almost 2,800 people participated in some form or another.
Russell monitors social media sites for the police department and he apparently couldn't resist the marijuana conversation, jumping in with a one-word opener: "Cough."
"It's the fuzz," cracked one participant, another joked about Russell's handcuffs, but the conversation soon focused on Russell's social media skills and marijuana laws.
The marijuana debate rocketed to Reddit's front page, where site users get to decide the fate of topics through their submissions, but it's not known if the student ever did find some pot.
Read more BC News
- Snow hits the Coquihalla & 97C
- Saanich man, 85, beat in home invasion
- Driver, 11, flips jeep killing 12-year-old
- Air force helps rescue hiker
- Coal mine rejected on Vancouver Island
- Ahmadiyya mosque opens in Delta
- BC NDP's bus ride went beyond Hope
- Vancouver man shot dead in Costa Rica
- Company intercepts LSD-laced mail
- Hydro project to go ahead in northern BC
- Pickton victims' families skeptical
- Coroners warn of water danger
(Click for RSS instructions.)