Treacherous conditions on Coquihalla
Nov 9, 2012 / 5:27 am
Snow, ice and fog are causing problems for drivers on the Coquihalla between Hope and Merritt.
An accident closed the northbound lanes of Highway 5 from 11:30 Thursday night until just after 3 a.m. this morning.
The route was closed from from Exit 202, Portia Interchange to Merritt (88.3 km). DriveBC was advising people to detour via Highway 1 and Highway 3.
Here is a note from DriveBC: Highway 5 Northbound - Vehicle Recovery 15 km north of Exit 256, Kingsvale (Coldwater Road). Lane closure in effect. Updated on Fri. Nov. 9 at 3:19 a.m.
Although the route is now open drivers are advised to use caution, there is compact snow with slippery sections from Hope to Merritt.
To see the highway conditions on 97C click here.
A fatal accident also closed Hyw. 1 near Revelstoke this morning (Friday Nov. 9).
Read more BC News
- Vancouver man shot dead in Costa Rica
- Company intercepts LSD-laced mail
- Hydro project to go ahead in northern BC
- Pickton victims' families skeptical
- Coroners warn of water danger
- RCMP surround Langley home
- Beware of counterfeit polymer $100's
- Cowichan to close six middle schools
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
- Body recovered at Golden Ears Park
- Body recovered from creek
- Fire prohibitions start today
(Click for RSS instructions.)