UPDATE: Police standoff near casino
Nov 8, 2012 / 10:05 am
UPDATE 11 a.m. - An armed standoff at a Metro Vancouver casino has ended with the gunman being shot and taken to hospital. It's not immediately known if police shot the man or if he shot himself, his condition has not been disclosed.
Commuter gridlock has gripped a large area of Metro Vancouver as New Westminster Police have shut down a major bridge.
The Queensborough Bridge, linking Queensborough and New Westminster, has been closed since shortly after 6 a.m. as officers deal with an incident near the Starlight Casino at the extreme eastern tip of Lulu Island, on the north arm of the Fraser River.
Patrons of the casino have been ordered to remain in the building while the incident is handled in, or near, the casino parking lot.
Police have released few details about the standoff but confirm it is not a hostage taking, and they also say there is no immediate threat to the general public.
Closure of the Queensborough Bridge has caused massive delays along Highway 91, the East-West Connector, and on other bridges carrying commuters into Vancouver during the morning rush.
Negotiators are working to resolve the standoff and police are urging everyone to stay out of the area until further notice.
(CKNW, News1130, The Canadian Press)
Read more BC News
- Beware of counterfeit polymer $100's
- Cowichan to close six middle schools
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
- Body recovered at Golden Ears Park
- Body recovered from creek
- Fire prohibitions start today
- Elections BC: don't tweet on election day
- Fire fighters aided by rain, cool temps
- Ferry officer will appeal conviction
- ATV rider swept over falls, killed
- Evacuation order lifted near Ashcroft
- Rock hits tent killing girl, 10 and her dad
(Click for RSS instructions.)