Victoria outhouse capital of Canada
Nov 6, 2012 / 11:30 am
It's basically a spruced up downtown outhouse, but Victoria's so-called Langley Street Loo is now known as Canada's best restroom.
A nationwide contest saw Victoria's outdoor, public restroom top four other - much appreciated - washrooms in Vancouver, Toronto, and Repentigny, Quebec for biffy supremacy.
Victoria Mayor Dean Fortin says he is flushed with pride at the award, sponsored by Cintas Canada, a company that provides restroom supplies, among other services.
Cintas spokesman Rod Farquharson says the Victoria Loo isn't known for being lavish, but the stainless steel, unisex toilet provides an eco-friendly, convenient and free service.
Fortin says the Langley Street Loo is Victoria's second outdoor facility and is in constant use by tourist traffic and a vibrant nightlife.
The prized public potty, which offers around-the-clock relief, was purchased from the City of Portland, Oregon, last year for $90,000 and is maintained by the city's sanitation crews.
Read more BC News
- School trustees want special hydro rate
- Sea otter shot in face now stable
- Richmond man shot in tile store
- Incest father has sentence doubled
- BC NDP seeks to abolish Senate
- Driver plows SUV in grocery store
- BC strikes tentative union deals
- Teen labelled as high risk for terrorism
- Pot referendum pipe dream up in smoke
- Woman's body found in Burnaby suite
- Accused's ex-girlfriend helped sell drugs
- Grand theft vessel after ferry stolen
(Click for RSS instructions.)